Talk

Advanced search

What is the difference between perimenopause and the menopause? How do you avoid weight gain? Does the menopause magnet work? And ye gods, tell us how to get a good night's sleep! Luckily Gransnet has put together the most useful tips for navigating those muddy menopausal waters. Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Peri or not peri.... that is the question ..! Sorry for long post

(4 Posts)
Josiejo1127 Wed 07-Feb-18 21:55:00

So I've been on the combined pill for around 30 years and only came off it to have my 2 children. About 2 years ago I thought I may be peri menopausal as I was suffering with horrendous mood swings, sore boobs and vaginal dryness. In June last year I decided to stop taking the pill to see what happened.... boy was I sorry! Had the usual "period" after finishing last pill but then didn't have one for 4 months but put that down to being on pill for so long. About 6 weeks after stopping the pill I started suffering with horrendous joint pain, hot flushes, night sweats, insomnia and constant feeling of thrush. Started taking Menopace and omega 3 fish oils which eased the sweats. After having 2 periods I decided to go back on the pill but found I was spotting a lot. Stopped taking Menopace. Did 2 months of the pill and decided to stop taking it again... not doing myself any favours I know! It's been 5 weeks since I stopped taking the pill and not had any sweats again (yet!). Had a period this week which lasted one and a half days but had been spotting for about 2 weeks before that. However I constantly feel like I have thrush, constant severe itching in pubic area, sore boobs for about 2 weeks out of 4, severely moody, always tired and CBA with anything and constantly needing a wee. Been to GP (male) today and he insists it's not menopause. Getting me to do vaginal swab and gave me vaginal moisturiser. Read loads of posts on here and feel that my symptoms are peri but getting no joy with GP. I've just turned 47yo. Fedup.com confused Advice anyone?

alwaysthepessimist Mon 19-Feb-18 15:32:51

go back and see a different gp and ask for them to start blood tests to measure your FSH

PollyPerky Mon 19-Feb-18 16:53:57

Advice- see another GP.

You have every symptom of peri meno.
Missed cycles
dry and sore vagina - with increased weeing
moody
tired

If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck it usually is a duck.

PollyPerky Mon 19-Feb-18 16:54:51

ps At the very least he should recognise vaginal atrophy which is what you have - read about it. You need estrogen cream for your foofsmile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: