Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

HRT natural remedies

(9 Posts)
rachchopperh Tue 23-Jan-18 12:06:14

Hi just asking for advice for any ladies that are going through the menopause ,,any recommendations on natural remedies , i have been on elleste duo,, but due to HBP having to stop for now ,,dont like taking pills at the best of times especially prescribed,so thought id try an alternative,,I have read about black cohosh ,but not keen as not good reviews due to it effecting your liver in some way,,would love to hear some of your experiences with natural remedies thanks for reading smile

PollyPerky Tue 23-Jan-18 12:27:45

If you do an advanced search of the threads here I posted a link to the RCOG&O guidelines on alternatives to HRT a while back.

If your GP has taken you off HRT due to high blood pressure that is incorrect; guidelines say treat the BP at the same time ( either with meds or lifestyle changes) but it's not a reason to stop or not use HRT.

HRT does not affect BP- the only one that they think might is ones made from horse urine and that's not the one you had.

rachchopperh Tue 23-Jan-18 13:11:38

ok thanks will check the threads...and my gp will not give me any more pills because i have HBP ,,,thats is what she has said ,,but makes sense why didnt she give me something to lower the blood pressure (i dont no ) i should have asked ,,thanks again smile

PollyPerky Tue 23-Jan-18 13:55:58

sadly it looks as if your GPis one of the many who know very little about HRT.

This is from guidelines for GPs
www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepage.cfm?ID=120913983

I've copied and pasted it for you here:

"current evidence suggests that, in general, the use of HRT is not associated with an increase in blood pressure

HRT is not contraindicated in women with hypertension and women with hypertension should be able to be prescribed HRT as long as BP levels can be controlled by antihypertensive medication

rarely, idiosyncratic rises in blood pressure occur in women receiving HRT - thus HRT should be temporarily discontinued in women with resistant hypertension to assess the contribution of HRT to development of hypertension

after initiation of HRT it is prudent to monitor blood pressure - 2-3 times in the first 6 months, then 6 monthly

note that the best evidence for the impact of HRT - whether unopposed or opposed - is that cardiovascular events, coronary, venous thromboembolic and stroke, are increased by the use of those formulations evaluated hither to in randomised trials (1)"

I suggest that whatever a GP tell you about HRT, you google and look for info because too many of them are out of date and out of touch.

MadhousMom59 Tue 23-Jan-18 23:03:49

Hi any alternatives.for hot flushes.xx desperate lady. 58 late starter.xx 15.yrs.x had been on hormones for six years.stopped them 3 months ago.zx

PollyPerky Wed 24-Jan-18 08:04:29

why did you stop if they were helping?

MadhousMom59 Fri 26-Jan-18 13:58:36

Hi polly. I was worried about taking them for so long.

PollyPerky Fri 26-Jan-18 14:15:47

well, I understand that , but there is no limit now - you can stay on it for life - and if you are struggling without, may be time to have a rethink? Just make sure you are using the safest types and not the old stuff like Premarin, prempak etc.

TheWelshDragon Fri 26-Jan-18 14:26:05

I'm taking black cohosh and have no hot flushes. I took it after recommendation from an acquaintance. Before I was hot all night and itchy/ restless. I tried hrt but had migraines all the time so stopped. I started the black cohosh (from h&b) straight a way and the flushes didn't come back. Could be coincidence obviously but I'm not chancing it right now. I don't drink so not too worried about my liver but i keep an eye out for symptoms. Milk thistle is good for repairing livers btw.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: