Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Anything I can do about the post menopause spare tyre?

(16 Posts)
MidLifeCrisis2017 Sat 30-Dec-17 20:47:47

Mid fifties, active (walk the dog three or four miles a day), rarely eat carbs, same weight for about ten years, but my stomach looks awful now.

Has anyone successfully sorted this? I'm starting a yoga class next week and have been trying to find a dance class as I detest the gym. What else should I be doing or not eating?

MidLifeCrisis2017 Sun 31-Dec-17 09:01:18

So it's just me then?!

BigGreenOlives Sun 31-Dec-17 09:04:36

I think that yoga and/or pilates will help. Try to follow the instructions precisely and if you are corrected take it positively, don’t stop going out of embarrassment.

PollyPerky Sun 31-Dec-17 09:29:02

Sorry to bring bad news...but it's fat.

Post meno, the distribution of body fat changes and goes to the tummy. You may weigh the same but we all lose muscle once we are over 40. So the percentage of fat to muscle usually goes up. (I weigh the same as I did at 21 - now in my 60s- but I know I've lost some muscle off my thighs and bum, despite working out.)

Yoga or exercise will make you more 'toned' but it won't shift a spare tyre- it won't spot-reduce fat.

The only way is to eat fewer carbs - low carb is considered under 50 grams a day- some people go as low as 30 gms, increase protein and fat.

You might be eating more carbs than you realsie. Low carb for me is one portion in a day. That means (for me) one slice of bread or 2-3 oat cakes. Everything else is fresh meat, eggs, cheese, fish, veg , fruit , full fat greek yoghurt, homemade soups, and some nuts. I don't eat rice, pasta, cereals (except porridge now and then) cake, biscuits, etc EXCEPT as a treat maybe once a week. If I deviate from this the spare tyre gets bigger.

justpoppngby Sun 31-Dec-17 09:41:37

Here's a recent similar thread you may want to have a read of.

'Please only reply if you're female and closer to 50 than 40'
http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/weightlosss_chat/3124179-Please-only-reply-if-youre-female-and-closer-to-50-than-40

PollyPerky Sun 31-Dec-17 10:01:00

This website is good for showing the carbs that foods have and foods you can eat.

www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

MidLifeCrisis2017 Sun 31-Dec-17 17:58:34

Thank you all so much, I've just read through the whole other thread (including the dopey comment about how we shouldn't care), and Polly's very useful list.

I'm off to meal plan for the rest of the week. Lunches at work are particularly important so I don't go and buy chocolate.

Aroundtheworldandback Tue 02-Jan-18 22:06:20

I lost my spare tyre through excercise and diet. Im 50 and can now eat what I like (within reason) so long as I stick to 30 mins of cardio 3 times a week. Whenever I’m really naughty though, the tyre looms in exactly the same place.

Hera2018 Fri 09-Feb-18 17:56:46

How is it going with the spare tyre removal? I am heading towards 50 and my spare tyre is just getting worse and worse. It’s really depressing. I feel like my shape is changing - less shapely and more ‘boxy’ - and I don’t like it 🙁
I have been keeping active - I got a Fitbit last year and do 15k steps most days. Since Christmas I have made a big effort not to use the car, walking or cycling as much as I can, and I’ve been going to Pilates and yoga. I know that over Christmas I overindulged so since then have cut down on booze, unhealthy food and have cut down the carbs - but maybe not enough....

I read that other ‘nearer to 50’ thread but a lot of the advice seemed so extreme and I want realistic solutions that I can fit into my life and family, and stick with long term.

PollyPerky Fri 09-Feb-18 18:05:31

Have you tried low carb?
The exercise you are doing won't shift much weight. I walk around 10K steps a day and it shows that it's about 300 cals used up. That's a couple of biscuits or 2 slices bread, roughly.

Why not try low carbing- you are allowed around 25 gms a day so that's either bread, or pasta, or rice, or cereals. It will only stretch to one serving, so that's one of those at one meal only. I know it's tough but except for the odd treat, that's how I have to do it.

Hera2018 Fri 09-Feb-18 18:27:50

I’ve cut down a lot on carbs but am having them more than once a day, so I will try only having them once a day. I do find it hard cooking low-carb meals for the family as DH and the kids love potatoes, pasta, noodles and bread!
It’s depressing because in the past what I am doing would have made a difference but it’s like I have a different body.

PollyPerky Fri 09-Feb-18 19:31:05

I know but it's the only way smile
I don't eat pasta, or rice, and usually swap potato for sweet potatoes as they have more vitamins and minerals. If you are having stir fry etc just have the meat and veg and no rice. Maybe on pasta nights you can make yourself a simple salad or have a half portion and fill up with something else?

MidLifeCrisis2017 Fri 09-Feb-18 20:47:01

I found low carbing just too hard. I've cut out bread and I only have potatoes, pasta or rice a couple of times a week, but it's the fruit and others veg I'm supposed to cut out that I'm missing.

Instead I'm trying the 16:8. Five pounds down the first week then nothing since! I'm sticking with it because I've noticed I do feel hungry now which shows I was being a bit self indulgent before.

I'll give it another fortnight then I'll just go and buy some elasticated trousers.

Vestly Fri 09-Feb-18 20:54:17

So Polly, no alcohol? sad

PollyPerky Fri 09-Feb-18 21:16:20

I don't bother with that MidLife ! I just cut out refined carbs and as much sugar as possible (hardly have any sugar most days.) I think it's not really healthy to avoid veg and fruit just because they are 'carbs'.

Hera2018 Sat 10-Feb-18 21:52:45

Yes that’s what puts me off proper low-carbing, all the fruit and veg you have to avoid as well.
I reckon I could do carbs (bread, pasta, potatoes, rice etc) only once a day, that would work, and have a smaller portion as well.
Fruit, yoghurt and seeds for breakfast. Eggs/fish and salad for another meal. Then small portion of carbs for other meal. Will give it a go! The spare tyre is getting me down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now