Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Really awful mood swings on Elleste Duet 1mg

(12 Posts)
Wellhellothere1 Thu 07-Dec-17 21:58:15

I'm 43 and I was started in Elleste Duet 1mg for early menopause (I had patchy periods for a couple of years. Blood tests a few months ago showed early menopause although I'm not really symptomatic)
I have now taken this HRT for 2 months and while I'm on the estradiol only tablets I feel wonderful. However when I'm on the combined estradiol/norethisterone tablets for 12 days I feel mentally awful. Raging mood swings, crying all the time, withdrawn and suicidal at times. I'm seeing my GP tomorrow for a review and I'm wondering if anyone knowledgeable could advise me on what to do. I don't know whether to suggest my GP changes me to an HRT from another progestogen group. Or if I should stay on these to see if my side effects get better.
As an aside I am also wondering if I should be on a higher strength oestrogen anyway as I've had an early menopause??

Sorry lots of questions! I've looked online but advice from anyone who has been through similar would be great.

Emerald13 Thu 07-Dec-17 22:27:01

Hi! I'm 42 and on hrt too. I'm on cyclo progynova, 2mg estrogen and 0,5 norgestel. I think that due to your young age, it's preferable to try a higher dose. I have mood changes too and feel tearful! I think to try femoston but I'm afraid if it is worse! Take care!

PoshPenny Thu 07-Dec-17 22:36:12

Ok I had the same thing, to the point of feeling suicidal on the progestin days. Conclusion reached is that I'm intolerant of synthetic progesterone. This fits as I never got on with the Pill and ended up using a cap back in the day. All now sorted on the HRT front with Oestrogel gel (could also be a patch) and utrogestan which is micronised progesterone (of the natural variety) and I get along OK with that. My main complaint would be that I sleep too well when I'm on it. It costs more than elleste duet though so your GP might not be thrilled about that.

PollyPerky Thu 07-Dec-17 22:39:17

Femoston gets good reviews as the progestogen is very similar to our own. Or the version that Posh suggests but Utrogestan is a love or hate sort. You need to suck it and see.

Superjaggy Thu 07-Dec-17 22:40:08

I experienced the same on Elleste Duet 1mg, and asked to change to Femoston 1mg (the progestogen in this one comes from a different source, I think) and it has been much better. My mood is much the same throughout the month now, but the night sweats have returned, so I'm going to ask to increase to 2mg at my next review.

Hope your GP is helpful tomorrow.

Wellhellothere1 Thu 07-Dec-17 22:52:46

Thanks everyone.

Superjaggy Fri 08-Dec-17 18:52:31

How did it go with the GP?

Wellhellothere1 Fri 08-Dec-17 19:55:11

Thanks for asking. She changed me to Femoston and was happy to give me the higher dose (2mg estradiol) so I'm hoping this suits me better. I also asked if I should have a dexa scan but when she did the calculation of future fracture risk it was very low so said I didn't need one. However the calculator doesn't include age of menopause strangely! Anyway I'm glad I'm now protecting my bones with HRT.

PollyPerky Fri 08-Dec-17 22:13:52

Id' ignore the FRAX score to be honest. I had almost full osteoporosis ye the online test showed I had no risks at all. If you want a scan there are places you can have them done privately.

Wellhellothere1 Fri 08-Dec-17 22:18:09

Yes I may go down that route Polly I find it really strange the recognised NHS risk calculator for osteoporostic fractures doesn't include age of menopause when early menopause is a known risk.

PollyPerky Fri 08-Dec-17 22:20:34

I sometimes think the NHS doesn't want people using the services hmm.

Superjaggy Sun 10-Dec-17 08:26:31

Really pleased you got what you went in for!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now