Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

PMDD

(7 Posts)
Daisychains101 Tue 05-Dec-17 22:32:12

Hi,
I had a total hysterectomy 6 days ago - removal of cervix, ovaries, fallopian tubes and uterus. My gynacologist is seeing me in 7 more weeks to discuss starting HRT. I have suffered PMDD for all of my adult life (I am now 50). Will HRT make this better or is it enough to just have the hysterectomy?

PollyPerky Wed 06-Dec-17 08:45:09

what is PMDD?

Daisychains101 Thu 07-Dec-17 13:12:35

PMDD stands for Premenstrual dysphoric disorder. It is extreme PMT basically. My moods would swing from suicidal/self harm to massively productive and sociable depending on my menstrual cycle.

misscph1973 Thu 07-Dec-17 13:29:43

As I understand it, you have to have HRT as you no longer produce any hormones. You should be able to lower the dose with time.

I hope it works for you! I know that it was probably very hard to get this operation.

PollyPerky Thu 07-Dec-17 14:29:38

I don't know how you are feeling now but a surgical menopause which is what you are in now, can often be a real hit over the head! All your own estrogen (practically) has gone along with your ovaries.
You may be lucky and get no symptoms of menopause but that would be rare.

I'm surprised your dr is making you wait 7 weeks to talk about HRT! why wasn't it discussed way before the op?

You will only need estrogen. Progesterone is only needed to protect the womb lining.

PMS etc is caused by fluctuating levels of the 2 hormones. You aren't going to experience that now. You need estrogen for at least a few years to protect your bones after losing all your own estrogen. It's safe too- all the research shows there is no risk with estrogen-only HRT at all, or at least for many many years.

misscph1973 Thu 07-Dec-17 15:43:47

I think the hormones are still in the body for a while after surgery, that's why you don't start HRT immediately.

I wouldn't worry too much about taking HRT in your situation, OP, I would just go for it.

PollyPerky Thu 07-Dec-17 16:06:52

There is no absolute on this, some women posting here and on other forums have started HRT the day after their op. It depends on what your estrogen levels were before the op and how much reserve there may be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now