Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Peri-menopause - what are the first signs?

(6 Posts)
Oscha Tue 05-Dec-17 13:25:41

I’m only 34 but my periods are increasingly all over the place. I do get 12 a year, but sometimes my cycle is 26 days long, sometimes 39, and anything in between. My actual periods also seem to be getting shorter-last year they were mostly 5 days and now they’re mostly 3.

Pre-children my cycles were pretty regular at 30-31 days, with very long periods of about 10 days.

Does this sound like peri-menopause? I’m reluctant to go to the GP as I guess it’s not a problem if that’s what it is, but I suppose I’m a bit surprised because of my age.

JoJoSM2 Tue 05-Dec-17 14:53:54

If you’re not planning more children, then it isn’t a problem. Unless you start getting some negative symptoms from hormonal changes like mood swings or hot flushes etc.

Having said that, I’m not sure if it’s peri menopause and it could be different things.

ChilliMum Tue 05-Dec-17 14:57:57

You should go to your gp. It is early for peri menopause so you should be checked. However any unexplained changes to your usual cycle should be checked. It's most likely stress, diet etc but you should always get it checked.

Oscha Wed 06-Dec-17 18:01:43

I’ve come to that conclusion too. It’s probably nothing but it is a bit...weird.

PollyPerky Wed 06-Dec-17 18:59:11

If you miss many cycles completely before 40 see your GP for tests - this is classed as premature menopause, it's a condition, and needs treatment - HRT up to age 50 at least. (Unless the missed cycles are due to something else.)

Oscha Wed 06-Dec-17 22:01:45

That’s interesting, thank you. So far I haven’t missed any, they’ve just been enormously random, varying from 26 to 39 day cycles. I will keep tracking them though in case that starts happening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now