Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

No period - is this the start of menopause?

(5 Posts)
May50 Tue 05-Dec-17 13:01:17

I'm 48, and after being on the pill Microgynon for years I decided to stop in August, just to see what my body was doing. I am now single so didn't need to stay on the pill for contraception purposes, and given my age I thought it probably better. Since stopping the pill I had 2 periods , both around 26 days - so initially I thought I was back on track. Historically I had always been as regular as clockwork when not on the pill.

It's now been 43 days since my last period, I have had ovulatory pain/tummy pain - but no period. I'm sort of in limbo now as I have no idea when or if I will come on. Would I go and see the GP at this stage to discuss? I have no other symptoms I don't think. A friend of mine mentioned she was going to have a blood test to see if she was menopausal. Is this the normal thing to do? I basically feel fine and normal - just no period.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Tue 05-Dec-17 13:02:22

It's the beginning, but it is a long process

ChardonnaysPrettySister Tue 05-Dec-17 13:03:02

Not sure I would go see the GP, unless there are other problems.

HostofDaffodils Tue 05-Dec-17 13:08:33

I wouldn't see the GP either - though it's your call. My impression, though it's years since I was on the pill, is that it can take some time for any kind of regular cycle to re-establish itself.

I'm past menopause, and I think people more typically go for advice if they are having trouble symptoms such as night sweats or hot flushes, and want to know how best to manage these/discuss HRT.

Or you might want to go if managing an irregular cycle - which might include heavy periods - was very problematic.

May50 Tue 05-Dec-17 13:20:19

OK - great thanks. I never generally go to the GP anyway if I can help it so I'll just see how it goes. I'd be absolutely delighted not to have another period again, but at the moment it's the not knowing - I have to be prepared every day, just in case.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: