Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

42 - just been told I'm menopausal

(6 Posts)
building2017 Wed 29-Nov-17 20:04:38

So I am 42. Fairly regular periods. I had quite bad night sweats and insomnia for a couple of months, some hot flashes, and was a couple of weeks late. So I went to to Dr and they said let's rule out ant sinister causes with some bloods. Also took FSH and LH levels but didn't say anything about when to have the tests in my cycle. Had the bloods done day 12 of my cycle. Levels came back FSH 23, LH 79. Doc said in my notes (that the nurse read over the phone) that this means I'm menopausal and to make an appointment.

I would be fine with being menopausal tbh. But not sure if there are things I should be asking the doc? Is it right that these levels indicate menopause even though I still am having periods?

PollyPerky Wed 29-Nov-17 20:20:06

The time to do blood tests is between days 2- 5 of your cycle (so when you would be having a period.) There is no accuracy to tests done mid month.

You are possibly in peri menopause. These are the years leading up to menopause (your final period ever) which is anywhere from 45-55. I'd not panic . A one-off test at the wrong time is meaningless unless your periods have well and truly stopped.

If your periods stop completely before 45, you'd need HRT (read up about early and premature menopause) to prevent various long term health issues. But at the moment you are not there yet!

PollyPerky Wed 29-Nov-17 20:27:33

If you do some searching online, both those test scores are normal for anyone your age , mid cycle. LH can be up to 90. FSH over 30 is generally classed as menopausal if taken from days 2-5.

Emerald13 Wed 29-Nov-17 20:54:37

I'm at the same age. I had periods too but severe symptoms, as insomnia, night sweats, body aches, my FSH was 35 in the middle of my cycle. My gyn told me that due to my young age is better to have hrt and not to wait until my body shut down completely. He made his diagnosis based more on my symptoms and not on my hormonal profile. Now I m wondering if I have to wait to miss a period completely.

Winniethepooer Sun 03-Dec-17 21:45:45

My FSH was 126... confused same agw as you Op.

building2017 Mon 04-Dec-17 11:34:22

I'll see the doc to discuss results this week. Very hot today! Not sure there is anything to be done wrt hot flashes but open windows. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now