Talk

Advanced search

What is the difference between perimenopause and the menopause? How do you avoid weight gain? Does the menopause magnet work? And ye gods, tell us how to get a good night's sleep! Luckily Gransnet has put together the most useful tips for navigating those muddy menopausal waters. Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Highly varied mood swings... normal?

(9 Posts)
hesterton Fri 24-Nov-17 18:21:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LaGattaNera Fri 24-Nov-17 18:51:01

I have this yes - can go from happy and positive to feeling totally overwhelmed, anxious & unable to cope. Decided to try HRT and have got it but as I'm on a training course at the moment, am waiting until that is over before I start just incase I have any side effects at the commencement.
Thing is I never had PMS but do experience real moods with meno - well actually not moods, they are more that moods and recently had some very black weeks. I sympathise OP

Jasminedes Fri 24-Nov-17 20:40:22

Yes, me too.

hesterton Fri 24-Nov-17 20:44:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jasminedes Sat 25-Nov-17 17:56:05

That sounds good. I didn't realise it would be such a rollercoaster 🎢 .

trainedopossum Sat 25-Nov-17 18:09:06

Bless you, I have come here to write essentially the same thing, or a variation that goes something like 'Can your hormones make you hate yourself?' It certainly doesn't feel like my usual self-regard, which is pretty even and healthy.

I'm still stinging from a recent minor personal incident (think bad haircut) and I'm despairing, far beyond what I'd consider a measured reaction. It has taken me days to address it because I knew my reaction was not proportional and I didn't want to wig out in front of the other individuals involved. Also feeling utterly paranoid about how people view me (ie is everyone treating me with contempt/disregard because I'm officially old now) which is also not normal for me.

I may be slightly more vulnerable now in that I just got my period on Thurs, but usually the second day any blues lift dramatically.

Christ, it is not unlike being a teenager again.

PhyllisDietrichson Wed 29-Nov-17 16:44:05

Yes definitely - I do sympathise hesterton.

The worst mood I get (which I posted about) is feeling that I've just had an injection of hideous depression. It spreads quickly throughout my body in the same way a hot-flush does. I can be feeling fine then I'll become hot and feel this horrid release into my veins of a sour, angry depression. Thankfully it doesn't last. I've had enougth though, off to get HRT tomorrow after 18 months of changing horrible emotions, chronic insomnia and flushes. Hoobloominray!

FritzDonovan Thu 30-Nov-17 22:41:03

I just came on here to post similar!
Are these swings of mood cyclical (ie follow the period timing) or are they triggered by particular incidents which you overreact to? I haven't worked that out yet. Seems a bit of both, so crap all round!

LaGattaNera Fri 01-Dec-17 19:56:32

Mine tend not to be cyclical but reactions (massive overreactions) to stressful incidents, or indeed incidents that are only mildly stressful but which I seem to find overwhelming.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: