Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Out of breath due to HRT?

(13 Posts)
Katsite Fri 10-Nov-17 19:02:00

I started to take extremely low doses of hrt (progesterone and estradiol) almost a year ago. I get out of breath extremely quickly when I ride my bike. Is that because I

1. am a year older
2. am fatter because of the hormones (about 4kg) or
3. is it a side effect of the therapy?

I am just wondering if I need to see GP if it is 3. Anybody any similar experience?

PollyPerky Fri 10-Nov-17 19:29:11

More likely you are unfit and it's the 10lbs or so of extra weight. Nothing to do with HRT!

TroutySnouts Fri 10-Nov-17 19:40:31

I’d go to the GP to be on the safe side

Katsite Sat 11-Nov-17 07:45:26

I have continued with the same amount of exercise polly so being unfitter could only be due to extra weight. It didn’t seem enough to be so out of breath.

PollyPerky Sat 11-Nov-17 08:43:39

Being out of breath when exercising is either due to something like asthma (dr would check peak flow) or heart failure, chest infections, or being unfit. None of these are affected by HRT. TBH If I put on 10 lbs I'd feel very unfit. I can feel the difference even with 3-4 lbs when I do my hill walking.

Katsite Sat 11-Nov-17 20:06:00

That’ll be it. I’ve never experienced such weight gain in such a short period.

AfterSchoolWorry Sat 11-Nov-17 20:09:52

And get checked for anemia, can cause breathlessness.

AuntyElle Sat 11-Nov-17 20:17:24

And yet... here's an article explaining that breathlessness can be caused by too low or too high oestrogen:
menopausematterstoday.com/menopause-can-take-your-breath-away/

Katsite Sun 12-Nov-17 07:09:39

Thanks all. I might have it checked next time I go.

PollyPerky Sun 12-Nov-17 09:15:35

AuntyElle Did you read that link? It's all about asthma. It's about low estrogen affecting asthma- which is an allergy- and all allergies can be affected by hormones.

The article is not about breathlessness as such or linked to HRT.

pinkhousesarebest Sun 12-Nov-17 09:22:02

I was breathless because of bleeding pretty constantly and thought it was normal. Couldn't walk up the stairs.

AuntyElle Sun 12-Nov-17 09:27:59

That's a very heated response, PollyPerky. And you are making quite a few assumptions on this thread.

PollyPerky Sun 12-Nov-17 13:07:37

Really aunty? Not heated whatsoever. The link is about asthma. I mentioned asthma in my first reply, I thought your post was telling the OP that HRT (or too much / too little estrogen) was the cause of her breathlessness and you were trying to prove that with the link, which would be worrying for women on HRT if they thought it caused breathlessness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now