Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Start of perimenopause? Confusing and scary...

(6 Posts)
Amelie0 Thu 09-Nov-17 13:00:27

Hi,

For the first time in my life, I'm having spotting between periods and it scares the hell out of me. :-(
This will be a long explanation but I really hope someone wants to read it...

I'm 42 to and I'm not on any anticonception. My periods have always been clockwise and were always following the same way: starting up, heavy bleeding with clots the second day, getting lighter to the end. It was always like that. Until the last one.
This time it took longer before the party started. The heavy bleeding only started somewhere between the second and 3th day and
although it wasn't a light bleeding but a real period bleeding with some clots, I think it wasn't as heavy as usual. That period also stopped a day earlier.

Three days after that stop, I had intercourse with my husband. And when I woke up the morning after and went to the toilet, I noticed a pink discharge on the toilet paper. That coloured discharge lasted for 8 days, getting all colours from pink to light brown and back, with or without little pieces of dried blood.
Most of the time, I also had the feeling that something was going on down there. Sometimes I had a bloating feeling, sometimes it felt a bit like a blatter infection: the urge to urinate bit without the pain of an infection.
On the 8th day, so about 15/16 days after that slightly unusual period started and about 11 days after it ended, the bloating feeling got worse. And that night, I suddenly had a bright red bleeding. By the next day that had stopped and the coloured discharge returned.
Yesterday, the discharge seemed to be gone. Afterwards I got cramps, comparable to the ones I get when my period starts. And yes, the discharge was back, but again, only on the toiletpaper. So I'm now on the 12th day of coloured discharge after my last slightly different period and I'm scared it might be something sinister, especially because I also had this blatter infection symptoms.

Got an appointement for a full check next week. I spoke to my dr over the phone. He said it needs to be checked but it might be 'just the start of perimeno'.

But I've got no other symptoms! I've never had a hot flush ar anything!
But then I've Googeled the symtomps and maybe... . I had troubles to fall asleep for months, I've always been a pretty bad sleeper, but it seemed to get worse. I also had palpitations sometimes. I got that checked by the dr but nothing unusual was found. He said it might have been related to the antihistamines I'd been taking for my allergy. And it seems I'm losing more hair nowadays, every time I wash my hair, I'm like: wow! But I've had this before during a stressy time. And according to my hair dresser, it's because my hair is damaged due to too much straightening (I normally have curly hair but I always straigthen it with a hair dryer and I use a flat iron every day). But sometimes I'm like: no, these ones aren't broken hairs, they're too long, it looks more like hair loss. And then my hair dresser said: ho well, yes, that can be the result of stress and/or hormones.

So now I'm really confused. Every possible symptom I might have had, can have a another cause. And I don't have that racing heartbeat anymore. And I created some sleeping ritual so I manage to sleep a little better nowadays. So there's the hairloss and this scary change in my cycle now... . And oh, according to my husband, my PMS got worse in the last 2 years: more emotional, getiing touchier.

I also heard of women having one period almost right after the other during perimeno. But mine isn't a period. It's spotting in all its forms. The longer its last, the more anxious I become. Yesterday night, when I was in bed and those cramps got haevier along with some quite heavy pelvic pain which I also felt in my lower back and my leg, I was so scared, I started to cry. Cause I've read that all of that can be symptoms of the terrible c-word. :-(

I'm so stressed and I have to wait for another week to see the dr...Is there anyone who also believes this can be perimeno? It's so sudden!!! At least, that's how I experience it.

Emerald13 Thu 09-Nov-17 19:26:01

Very very possible, we have the same age and I had some of your symptoms too. I had no hair loss but my hair gets thinner and my sleep was awful. I'm at peri and try with hrt to handle all these! It really helps!

healinghand Fri 22-Dec-17 09:44:43

Hi Ive just come across your post and some of your symptoms seem very similar to mine how are you getting on?

lljkk Fri 22-Dec-17 13:30:00

Are you prone to anxiety, Amelie?

Life changes, our bodies change. Changes are opportunities. It's ok.

Jenken48 Sat 23-Dec-17 21:02:37

I am in the throes of perimenopause. I was almost relived after a year of growing conviction I had dementia. Like you I couldn’t sleep. I was forgetful... I was anxious .... I was so so tired .... and the thing is during Perimenopause ur hormones fluctuate widely so it is difficult to get an accurate diagnosis .... there are tons of sites out there with ideas for help ... good luck

Jenken48 Sat 23-Dec-17 21:35:48

This is a good blog mixing humour and information
m.facebook.com/menopausalwoman/?ref=bookmarks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now