Talk

Advanced search

What is the difference between perimenopause and the menopause? How do you avoid weight gain? Does the menopause magnet work? And ye gods, tell us how to get a good night's sleep! Luckily Gransnet has put together the most useful tips for navigating those muddy menopausal waters. Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

BLOOD TESTS IN PERI MENOPAUSE -PLEASE READ

(7 Posts)
PollyPerky Tue 07-Nov-17 14:24:23

I've seen loads of posts today from women saying their blood tests didn't show peri etc.

This is the advice from NICE www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng23/chapter/Recommendations#diagnosis-of-perimenopause-and-menopause

1.2 Diagnosis of perimenopause and menopause

1.2.1 Diagnose the following without laboratory tests in otherwise healthy women aged over 45 years with menopausal symptoms:

perimenopause based on vasomotor symptoms and irregular periods

menopause in women who have not had a period for at least 12 months and are not using hormonal contraception

menopause based on symptoms in women without a uterus.

1.2.2 Take into account that it can be difficult to diagnose menopause in women who are taking hormonal treatments, for example for the treatment of heavy periods.

1.2.3 Do not use the following laboratory and imaging tests to diagnose perimenopause or menopause in women aged over 45 years:

anti-Müllerian hormone

inhibin A

inhibin B

oestradiol

antral follicle count

ovarian volume.

1.2.4 Do not use a serum follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) test to diagnose menopause in women using combined oestrogen and progestogen contraception or high-dose progestogen.

1.2.5 Consider using a FSH test to diagnose menopause only:
in women aged 40 to 45 years with menopausal symptoms, including a change in their menstrual cycle

in women aged under 40 years in whom menopause is suspected (see also section 1.6).
I really do recommend reading the NICE guidelines for menopause because although there was a wave of media publicity in 2015 when it was published, it's obvious that many women and their GPs are not aware of the advice in it.

msbrightside Thu 09-Nov-17 19:18:44

What does this mean PollyPerky? that things are not showing up or that its not worth them looking, bit confused!

PollyPerky Thu 09-Nov-17 19:27:03

maybe google 'blood tests in perimenopause'? You'll find loads.
You might even find info on the actual NICE link.
Basically, they are inaccurate as hormones can change hourly in peri. So no point wasting NHS cash, treat symptoms.

SunnySummerDays Sun 12-Nov-17 12:41:43

I had a blood test the other day for iron, I'd been on iron pills and this was a 3 month test. I mentioned to nurse I still feel tired so didn't think the pills had worked.. But Also my periods erratic do she did extra bloods and I am in Perimenopause.
Bizarrely iron was fine. But I'm shattered all the time. And my hips ache so much. This all literally started just three months ago.

Ambonsai Sun 12-Nov-17 12:53:51

So if I'm 48 with all the symptoms the gp should just give me hrt, if no other complications?

Ambonsai Sun 12-Nov-17 12:54:22

Instead of repeatedly sending me for blood tests?

PollyPerky Sun 12-Nov-17 13:11:01

it really annoys me when nurses (or drs) ignore the NICE advice. The NHS is broke. Wasting money.That is partly why blood tests for menopause are not advised BUT also because they are inaccurate. You got a peri diagnosis on the say they took blood. two days later it might not have shown that. I got a diagnosis of being post meno (by blood tests for something else) 2 years before I was post meno.

If you want HRT , ask for it. It's got nothing to do with blood tests , but your symptoms.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: