Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Anti depressants and HRT?

(6 Posts)
Mary1935 Sat 21-Oct-17 23:39:56

I'm 53 now and for the past 18 months have been struggling with my periods. I was having irregular periods but also having terrible period pain, feeling dragged down and very low but no bleeding. This could go on for 6 weeks at times. My Gp gave me tablets to bring the period on which it did occasionally. Since Jan this year I've not had a period - my friend recommended "magnesium ok"which I have taken since January & I've had none of the above. This month I'm having pain again but it's not as bad. I assume it's the menopause.

I've also separated from my husband and was started on an anti-depressant last January which has helped
I wondering if I need or could start HRT - my sleep is bad, I wake a couple of times each night- I do feel dragged down this month - & some irritability - I have vaginal dryness - feelings of hotness but not sweating thankfully.
Has anyone taken HRT and an anti-depressant? Will I carry on with both
I've booked to see the go next Friday - just looking for advice really.
Thanks

MissConductUS Sun 22-Oct-17 00:22:38

There shouldn't be any medical reason not to do both. HRT just restores your levels to normal. A simple blood test will determine if your hormone levels need supplementation. But they are much more cautious about doing it than they used to be. There's been conflicting evidence that it can raise your risk of heart disease.

I hope you feel better soon. smile

PollyPerky Sun 22-Oct-17 09:33:39

If you were diagnosed with depression at the same time as experiencing meno symptoms and have no history of depression, then the NICE advice is to use HRT not ADs.

You can use HRT with ADs but you might find what's needed is HRT and not ADs!

I'm sorry you are struggling. But it's important to address what is causing the depression. If it's 'reactive' to your marriage break up, have you had counselling or CBT? Again, this is the recommended first line of treatment , not meds.

HRT will help your sleep and vaginal dryness and you will also possibly need vaginal estrogen cream too.

MissConduct Blood tests are not done for menopause on women over 45 any more. They are unreliable. The advice is to treat the symptoms.
Heart disease- there is no evidence at all that HRT causes heart disease. The opposite is true. HRT reduces plaque in the arteries by 50% if started early in menopause. (If you are in the US you may not be aware of the UK advice from NICE and the research that has replaced the WHI report from 20 years ago.)

Mary1935 Sun 22-Oct-17 10:26:11

Thanks for replying Miss and Polly. Polly - yes I'm on anti depressants due to my marriage break up - I was suicidal at times and so so low. They have cleared the fog - my marriage was abusive & there is a restraining order in place. I'm doing counselling too. I come from an abusive childhood and CBT wouldn't fix it.

The GP did send me for blood tests approx 18 months ago & said I was in the peri phase. I coped with the above symptoms till the anti depressants started in Jan 2017. I am questioning if I should take HRT - if it will only help with my sleep and vaginal dryness and I could get vaginal estrogen on its own and take 500mg of magnesium.
I suppose I worried the gps don't know what they are doing really. When she prescribed something to bring my period on - there was no bloody period to come as I'm in the peri menopause!!!

Any websites or more advice well come or can anyone recommend anyone private - I'm in south east London.
Polly - I've seen you advice on this thread and you are very knowlegeable. Thanks.

PollyPerky Sun 22-Oct-17 10:58:14

Sounds as if you are going thru a really tough time.
You have nothing to lose by trying HRT. Femoston is one which women speak highly of- it's very close to our own hormones. Or a lot of us like using estrogen gel plus Utrogestan as the progesterone for 12 days a month. With gel you can start at a very low dose and increase it (yourself.)
You could also read Menopause Matters for info and the Women's Health Concern site.

If you want someone private in London I can suggest someone. Will PM you.

Mary1935 Sun 22-Oct-17 11:54:10

Hi Polly THANK YOU. I appreciate your advice. 🌺

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now