Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Hysterectomy

(9 Posts)
Emerald13 Thu 19-Oct-17 19:37:29

I'm wondering if is it possible to ask for hysterectomy for reducing the breast cancer risks due to combined hrt.

PoppyPopcorn Thu 19-Oct-17 19:41:45

I doubt it, unless you have a huge long medical history and risk factors you're not mentioning.

The increased risk of breast cancer from HRT is tiny. The risks associated with hysterectomy are also small, but it is a big operation! I had a hysterectomy in November last year and will have a lifetime of minding my pelvic floor and a massive scar across my belly. It'snot something which is done lightly, to a healthy uterus, without a good medical reason.

Emerald13 Thu 19-Oct-17 19:48:24

Thanks Poppy!

PollyPerky Thu 19-Oct-17 19:54:10

No way would anyone offer you that!

If you are worried about cancer and HRT are you using Utrogestan (progesterone) and perhaps sticking to a sequential regime which reduces the frequency of use compared to conti HRT?

This is some info worth reading

The link with breast cancer risk

The IMS 2016 recommendations stated that the increased risk of breast cancer is primarily associated with addition of progesterone to estrogen therapy and linked to length of use. However 3 studies suggest that micronized progesterone or dydrogesterone could be associated with lower risk than synthetic progestogens. Data from the Finnish registry study showed no increased risk of breast cancer after 5 years with dydrogesterone but demonstrated an increased risk with synthetic progestogens. It is thought that this is because synthetic progestogens are associated with more proliferation, whereas dydrogesterone favours more apoptosis. The E3N French cohort and Finnish cohort studies also showed breast cancer risk was lower with natural progesterone/dydrogesterone, whilst the CECILE study, a population control study of more than 1550 menopause, over 700 of whom had breast cancer cases demonstrated that estradiol with micronized progesterone had no increased risk.

Emerald13 Thu 19-Oct-17 20:03:58

Thank you Polly! Very much! My gyn didn't prescribe me micronized progesterone, he gave me levonorgestrel as hrt. Is good idea to try micronized progesterone for my own? And how can I use it?

PollyPerky Thu 19-Oct-17 20:27:40

Brand name is Utrogestan
Instructions are online under product info. 12 days x 200 mgs a month.

Emerald13 Thu 19-Oct-17 20:43:55

Thank you again Polly! And for estrogen I can use bills from any brand I guess and I ll compine them with Utrogestan. And when I ll take utrogestan for 12 days, I ll take estrogen pills too, right?

PollyPerky Thu 19-Oct-17 22:05:51

Yes smile

Emerald13 Fri 20-Oct-17 05:51:15

😊💐

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now