Talk

Advanced search

What is the difference between perimenopause and the menopause? How do you avoid weight gain? Does the menopause magnet work? And ye gods, tell us how to get a good night's sleep! Luckily Gransnet has put together the most useful tips for navigating those muddy menopausal waters. Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Menopause at 36?

(7 Posts)
GerrytheBerry Sat 14-Oct-17 19:12:52

I bought a menopause test kit today (who knew they existed?) I have been having symptoms for a while, I have a 4yo 3yo and 5 months old. Anyway, it was positive, not totally dark line but definitely there. I was actually buying epo when I just happened to see the tests.
My question is, are these tests accurate? And where do I go from here?

PollyPerky Sat 14-Oct-17 20:16:37

Are your periods still regular? Website on premature meno

www.daisynetwork.org.uk

GerrytheBerry Sat 14-Oct-17 20:40:41

I am still bf'ing my 5 month old and haven't yet had a period since having her. I have never had very regular cycles as I have pcos which has been confirmed in the past with scans.
Last year before I feel pregnant I was experiencing the same thing I am now which is hot flushes, waking in the night boiling hot, mood swings, emotional for no reason, dry itchy skin and hair loss which I know is normal after having a baby, but I actually have a little hairless patch on top of my head towards the back, in the middle. Doctors have said it's alopecia but I'm not fully convinced, could it possibly be because I am in perimenopause?
I guess I need to go back to doctors and tell them all this.
Thanks for the link I'll have a look

Rufus27 Sat 14-Oct-17 20:48:36

Take a look at Menopause Matters too, OP. I found it invaluable. I started peri menopause at about 38/9 with lots of weird symptoms, but didn't realise what it was for several years. If you are having a premature menopause, it's important you take some form of additional estrogen to protect your bones and heart. I didn't want to take HRT but the consultant explained that at my age, the risks of not taking it were higher than the risks of taking it.

KadabrasSpoon Sat 14-Oct-17 20:51:39

I'm not an expert but assuming it is some sort of hormone test it might be unreliable if you've just had a baby. I remember 5 months being the hair falling out, really crappy phase.

GerrytheBerry Sat 14-Oct-17 22:03:10

Thanks rufus I will check that out, kadabras, that's a fair point, I think the doc should be able to do a more reliable test somehow, that's if they entertain me at all!

lljkk Sun 15-Oct-17 10:04:29

from what I'm reading, the home tests rely on something called FSH. FSH is totally suppressed by breastfeeding. Does your test adjust for breastfeeding? Plus the FSH test results vary by where someone is in their monthly cycle.

I guess I'm saying it's not a definite result. Should talk to a GP if you have unpleasant symptoms.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: