Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

peri menopause and periods ( TMI.. sorry)

(5 Posts)
The80sweregreat Tue 10-Oct-17 15:18:10

Have written before ( July this year) about my awful periods, but this past week has been weird and just posting to see if anyone else has had this. I am 52 and was sterilised when i was 34, so haven;t had a coil fitted or anything like that.
Periods have been irregular for a few years, the one back in July was awful and really heavy - i am low in iron, but a blood test just showed me to be a few points down and this 'normal for me' no further action needed and i take iron tablets i buy myself. Had nothing show up until early last week but I am only showing blood ( light coloured blood rarely dark) when i go to toilet to pass urine. It shows up on the loo paper , but there isnt anything 'showing' on the protection i wear ( not tampons) and it has been this way for days and days. Its so odd for me to have this ( never happened before) I am not on any medication or anything and a quick google just brought up a lot of old threads ( not mumsnet ones) where women thought they might be pregnant! I am sure that i am not that ( not dtd in 5 weeks or maybe longer) plus i am 52. Dont want to bother the doctors ( hard to get an appointment anyway) I am moody and get really sore chest, tired sometimes then have a few weeks when i just cant sleep , the odd hot flush, foggy heads etc, but nothing that i cant deal with normally. Just wondered if anyone else has had this , or any advice? thanks

ProperLavs Tue 10-Oct-17 15:19:46

I would go to the gp. It could be any number of things. Good luck.

The80sweregreat Tue 10-Oct-17 15:22:40

Thank you for your reply. I am surprised at myself this is happening as it hasn't been like this before ( normal to heavy periods , yes, but having blood but not having to wear protection is just odd for me anyway.

PollyPerky Tue 10-Oct-17 15:35:49

i am 52. Dont want to bother the doctors ( hard to get an appointment anyway) I am moody and get really sore chest, tired sometimes then have a few weeks when i just cant sleep , the odd hot flush, foggy heads etc, but nothing that i cant deal with normally. Just wondered if anyone else has had this , or any advice?

No need for the dr! This is typical peri menopause and to be expected at 52. Periods can go AWOL, come back heavy or really light - as you describe.

You might have more really light bleeds, no more or some odd heavy ones. All the other symptoms you describe are perimeno; they will possibly get worse as your periods fizzle out completely, then you can think about HRT.

menopausematters.co.uk/symptoms.php

The80sweregreat Tue 10-Oct-17 15:42:31

thank you polly!.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now