Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Weight gain in perimenopause

(11 Posts)
Mandiba Mon 09-Oct-17 18:32:36

I recently joined weight watchers to shift about 20 lbs and I’m getting so frustrated with this whole weight loss malarkey.
My general cycle of weight loss used to be two good weeks, a maintain and then the week before my period a gain.
At the min due to fluctuations in my hormones I’m getting one week of normal weight loss ( 2 lbs) followed by a gain at ovulation followed by a maintain & then the gain.
I’m totally fed up with it all.
Can I ask if anyone has cracked the weight gain in perimenopause ?
I’m 43 and apart from hot flushes have nearly every other symptom. Joint pain, muscle pain, menstrual migraines and horrible anxiety for no reason whatsoever. Horrible heavy periods and I’m anaemic to top it all off.
I just feel so overwhelmed by it all.
I know I need to make some big changes but I just don’t know where to start .
Any advice would be very welcome 🙏🏻

PollyPerky Mon 09-Oct-17 21:05:42

No easy answers I'm afraid.
What works for me post meno is
-fewer calories with very few carbs (no white rice, pasta, bread, pizza, cakes, biscuits , except as a once a week treat)
-no sugar most days
-more exercise - I walk fast for an hour 4-5 times a week plus some dumb bells at home when I remember
-high protein main meals with plenty of veg and fruit over the day
-full fat everything- butter, plain Greek yoghurt, olive oil but not huge amounts.

Weight gain as PMS is usually water retention. Are you over eating in the 2nd half of your cycle?

You might also want to think about HRT- you are young for all of this.

Mandiba Mon 09-Oct-17 21:34:56

Thanks Polly,

I appreciate the advice! I am a bit on the young side alright but all the symptoms seem to tally up. I’ve only one ovary so don’t know if that would speed things up. HRT will probably be a non runner for me eventually because of a very strong family history of blood clots.

My GP has been very good so far and is In agreement about me being peri menopausal. Recent blood tests were normal apart from very low iron and a ferritin level of 4.

Definitely need to get my health in order and make some long lasting changes.

Thanks again 💐

Awks Mon 09-Oct-17 21:37:19

It's hideous - 21 lbs fatter and struggling to lose, despite ok diet and lots of exercise. Though at least there's no more texas chainsaw massacre-type periods.

PollyPerky Mon 09-Oct-17 21:51:25

Blood clots are not a risk with transdermal HRT. In fact you're at far greater risk of other illnesses with an early meno- heart disease! Get HRT!

Mandiba Mon 09-Oct-17 22:07:33

Oh I wasn’t aware of that Polly. TBH, I haven’t researched HRT at all. I suppose I’m still in denial about it all. Sounds ridiculous I know. Whatever is happening I feel a really big transformation is ahead of me. I suppose they don’t call it the change for no reason smile

LadyWithLapdog Mon 09-Oct-17 22:11:41

Are you talking iron supplements? I've been taking these past few months at GP's advice and it's making a difference in my energy levels and mood.

Mandiba Mon 09-Oct-17 22:46:08

I’m taking two sachets of spa tone a day because I can’t tolerate any other iron supplement. I doubt it’s making a massive difference but I’ll find out next month when I re- test my iron levels. Other than that I take Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D sub lingual spray. Going to start back on the omegas aswell . Hopefully I’ll see some difference soon !

BinkyandBunty Mon 09-Oct-17 22:54:35

My middle age weight gain is all squidginess around my middle, which responds best to a very low carb diet. Low carbs pretty much forces you to eat well in other respects too, adding more veg to bulk up your meal.

I'm also exercising a lot more. Jogging, power walking, swimming, weights, yoga. It's hugely improved my overall wellbeing, especially my moods and sleep.

Firefries Sat 14-Oct-17 07:21:06

I think I've found my people. I'm similar to you OP and know I would go nowhere fast on WW (I used to do it too). Doing my own thing now and the weight loss has been nil. Zero. Lots of food changes and exercise and nil. However I now am running and have to stick to 1200 cals and not eat the extra cals after exercising. I eat healthy, lowish or less carbs and my perimenopause symptoms are improving. It's not a big turn around for symptoms but they are maybe more bearable now I'm out exercising more. I have just decided this is it and I have to look after myself big time or I'll be effected by menopause. My stomach is slowly going down. There's less of a tyre for now, but overall I feel better. Running helps with the huge emotions and frustrations that came with perimenopause too. I hope that helps.

Firefries Sat 14-Oct-17 07:23:17

Yes to Polly above - lower carbs (no pasta, rice, bread), no sugar, high protein and eating healthy fats. That's what I follow too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now