Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Merina Coil

(3 Posts)
jappa Mon 09-Oct-17 14:58:53

Hello, I'm hoping to get some opinions on my situation please? I've been having some symptoms which I think are likely to be perimenopausal. For at least a year I've had very aching knees, sleep problems, not every night, but often, and I'm also suffering with mood swings and irritability. I'm 49 (50 next month). I went to see my GP, and she thinks that as I'm not missing periods or having hot flushes, it's not my oestrogen levels that are the problem. She ran some blood tests, I do have low iron levels, not anaemia, but low reserves, which she thinks is due to heavy periods, and has recommended the Mirena coil. Her view is that it will tick a lot of boxes, and as and when I start to experience hot flushes, we can add the oestrogen patch to control them. I like the idea of no periods, and have done some research, which suggests that some perimenopausal women find Mirena has really improved other symptoms, such as aching and irritability. However, there also seem to be a lot of stories of nightmare bleeding, weight gain, moodiness, tiredness etc and I'm really not sure which way to go. I suppose the thing to do might be to try it and see if it suits me. It seems I may have answered my own question! But I'd love to hear other opinions/experiences, if you don't mind sharing. Many thanks!

rosie39forever Tue 10-Oct-17 16:16:43

Hi I’m a similar age to you with the same symptoms, put up with really heavy periods for years and was on my knees with anemia, insomnia and aches and pains, after a scan and biopsy to rule out any thing sinister I had the Mirena. It took a while to settle down but oh my god it’s changed my life, periods have gradually reduced to next to nothing and insomnia has improved. I know Mirena isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but I wish I’d had one years ago, I’ve had it a year now and have lost a stone and dropped a dress size because I’m not comfort eating from the exhaution caused by the periods.
I would give it a go but be prepared to leave it for at least six months to settle. X

jappa Wed 11-Oct-17 19:38:53

Thank you Rosie. It sounds like you’ve had a good experience with Mirena. I’ve started taking vitamin D and iron and am taking magnesium and omega. The gp prescribed mefanamic acid, which I’ve had before, years ago, so I’ll give that a go. If things are still rubbish in the new year, I’ll probably give Mirena a try. Great to hear positive stories like yours. Thanks for sharing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: