Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Perimenopause at 39?

(9 Posts)
belgina Sat 07-Oct-17 08:18:38

I went to the GP with the following symptoms. Thyroid issues have been rules out as my bloods are normal.

Shorter, irregular cycles, but very light periods.
PMT getting worse, especially the bloating
Hair falling out, but also drier
Night sweats
Low mood
Foggy brain at times
Trouble staying asleep
Hyper mobility & creaky joints getting worse
Pelvic floor getting weaker
Weight gain over the last year, just over a stone

I think this all points to perimenopause. The GP thinks I am too young, but has agreed to bloods anyway. Has anyone else had symptoms like this at my age? I always thought it was possible and not all that unusual?

PaintingByNumbers Sat 07-Oct-17 08:26:43

What actually were your thyroid results?

Battyoldbat Sat 07-Oct-17 08:30:48

Yes it's possible of course. I'd been having perimeno symptoms since turning 40 but it took a couple of years to get on hrt - blood tests were inconclusive. I was expecting it though, there's a really strong family history of early menopause. Do you know about your family? Did anyone go through menopause early?
You will probably have to be very persistent, it can be hard to diagnose with bloods. I had to go through a process of getting everything else which could be causing crazy periods ruled out first.

belgina Sat 07-Oct-17 09:24:25

I don’t know the thyroid results exactly, just that the dr reviewed them & said the result was perfect.

I’m sure my mum started with some changes around my age, but recently she said she was mid 40’s. I don’t know about my aunts or grandmothers (both deceased) & have no sisters.

thereinmadnesslies Sat 07-Oct-17 09:26:53

Don't take the dr saying thyroid results are 'perfect' at face value. You need the results and the range. There's a lot of information online about Drs dismissing thyroid blood tests as ok when actually they are outside the optimum.

Emerald13 Sat 07-Oct-17 18:34:02

Yes, it's possible, I had the same symptoms and I diagnosed with early menopause 3 months ago. I' m 42 and I did also checked my thyroid, it s ok.

Same as you I'm just turned 40, been like it 18 months, night sweats are horrendous. Dr did blood tests and agreed straight away that I am peri-menopausal, my mum was at 38. Good luck op

Igglepigglehadasplat Sun 08-Oct-17 22:58:07

You will need to be persistent. I went to the doctor at 39 with very similar issues. There are no blood tests that are 100% reliable . The doctor told me that if I had been over 45 he wouldn't even do blood tests Nd would have offered HRT straight away. My FSH levels were above normal and rising but didn't make it over 30 before I went on HRT . I ended up seeing a different doctor who was much more helpful and sympathetic.
www.daisynetwork.org.uk/about-poi/signs-and-symptoms/
This is a website I found d much easier to read as it isn't aimed at average age menopause

Khaleesi0 Thu 23-Nov-17 01:32:16

I’ve just been diagnosed with premature menopause AND underactive thyroid at 39... haven’t had a period in 6 months, can’t stay asleep, mood swings, confusion, the lot! So it is possible...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now