Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Blushing

(9 Posts)
Teenageromance Tue 12-Sep-17 15:48:36

I'm on HRT and in my 50s and thought I wasn't having any hot flushes. But recently at times when I feel self conscious about something I feel waves of heat and like my face is beaming. I've never blushed before and it is feeding on itself and making me dread blushing now and being the centre of attention. Has anyone else had this and is it the menopause?

PollyPerky Tue 12-Sep-17 16:05:49

Of course it's the menopause smile

It's a hot flush.

You've got thru life without blushing! Lucky you! I blush at the slightest thing.

Sounds as if you may need to increase your dose of HRT as it ought to control the flushes.

Teenageromance Tue 12-Sep-17 16:29:34

It only happens though when I feel self conscious - like the centre of attention. Do you think it is still a flush? I've been on hrt for a year and this has only started happening the last 2-3 weeks. I'm on the gel one squirt in morning and one in evening (the usual dose - not at home so can't check strength) and the progesterone tablets for 12 days per month. It only really bothers me if I'm at work and speaking to someone and then start to go red. I'm wondering if it would be worth taking my full dose in the morning on the days I am working?

PollyPerky Tue 12-Sep-17 19:22:56

It sounds as if it's just normal blushing. The thing with meno is that our internal thermometer can go a bit haywire- hence the use of HRT- so it sounds as if you've become more sensitive and are blushing.

You are incredibly lucky not to have blushed before. I've had a real issue with this all my life even though I am a relatively confident person- and have been on the verge of having hypnotherapy or CBT for it.

Teenageromance Tue 12-Sep-17 19:31:50

It's horrible - I really hate it as it does make you look unconfident but I seem to have no control over it. Never had it before so it does seem weird and wondered if it was a thermostat thing caused by the menopause.

N0tNowBernard Tue 12-Sep-17 23:27:37

The worst thing about blushing is when people say "Did you know your face has gone bright red?" Erm, yes!!! I bloody did and now everyone else is staring and I'm blushing more!

arousingcheer Thu 14-Sep-17 01:11:50

I get a very red sweaty face now when doing any exercise (I look like I've been running when I've been walking) and I wondered if this was hormone-related.
Walked the dog to the vet and had a conversation with the nurse all the while wondering what I must look like, suddenly dripping with sweat and face on fire. A minute before I'd been walking in the fresh air and feeling fine but as soon as I stopped it all went haywire. I was only walking!! Not even breathing hard, tut. hmm

ssd Tue 19-Sep-17 21:03:33

what a relief to hear you say that polly, I've been a terrible blusher all my life and I've thought of acupuncture to relieve it, I hate it too!!

I had hoped as I got older and less self conscious it would go away, but no...and I'm losing a bit of confidence which doesn't help either

Tookawrongturnsomewhere Wed 25-Oct-17 17:47:26

I'm in the peri menopause and tho I've always had the blushing problem it's definitely more unpredictable now due to flushes...ive always hated it.. And it's affected my life a lot social anxiety especially work meetings etc.. But now I just blame it on the menopause which somehow makes it easier. But if you ve never had blushing before you must be feeling really undermined by it.. It does feed on itself.. What I really hate is I can't just make myself blush.. Only in situations with other people which makes it feel even more out of control.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: