Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

HRT Versus Black Cohosh/St John's Wort

(18 Posts)
Chicarn Wed 12-Jul-17 18:26:49

Hi, My periods stopped 9 months ago & have horrendous sweats now. After blood test my GP offered me HRT. After some research I tried the black cohosh & St John's wort combination. Unfortunately I suffered with bad stomach ache/diarrhea so stopped the black cohosh/St John's wort combination. That was approx 2 months ago. I'm now suffering with bad fatigue & my mood is constantly low. I'm concerned at the bad press HRT has received but desperately need something swiftly. Any advice much appreciated.

ThoseDarnBuns Wed 12-Jul-17 18:32:44

Have you tried magnesium? My periods haven't stopped completely but I've been having night sweats, fatigue and body aches and this (although hasn't stopped it) has helped a lot. I can't take st John's wort as I'm already on fluoxetine so can't help with that sorry.

Chicarn Wed 12-Jul-17 18:43:26

No. Haven't heard about the magnesium. Thanks

ThoseDarnBuns Wed 12-Jul-17 18:54:33

My doctor actually suggested it. I take 100mg 3 times a day, have been doing so for about 8 weeks and I have noticed a difference. If you are using other supplements it may be worth going into Holland & Barrett or the like and asking if it's ok to take alongside they should know. The sweats and fatigue really take it out of you don't they? I hope you find something if not the magnesium that helps.

PollyPerky Wed 12-Jul-17 19:07:53

How old are you now?

The 'bad' press on HRT was almost 20 years ago (WHI research) and has now been replaced by new research showing HRT is very safe for most women. Drinking, being overweight and not exercising have higher risks.

Have a look at the websites of Dr Louise newson, (GP with expertise in meno- good videos on her site) and the pages of Menopause Matters (written by consultant gynae Dr Currie.)

There are risks in not using HRT as well as using it. It's quality of life that counts.

Magnesium is a muscle relaxant primarily and may help sleep. I don't think there is any research on it for moods etc. It can cause loose bowels if you take too much. I get a good dose in the calcium + magnesium supplements I use anyway but it can make your bowels overactive!

Abra1d Wed 12-Jul-17 19:11:10

I have a Ladycare magnet and use Promensil red clover tablets.

Works for me.

Chicarn Wed 12-Jul-17 19:34:06

Thanks. Will take a look at your suggestions.

PollyPerky Wed 12-Jul-17 20:10:35

Please do not waste your money on the magnet. It is a total scam. It's been commented on here and on other menopause forums. No research at all that it works. If you want to put a magnet in your knickers, which is all it is, but one for £1. It's a placebo and certainly can't replace oestrogen , build bone density or protect against heart disease which HRT does.

Look at this about which supplements may help and which are proven not to.

www.rcog.org.uk/globalassets/documents/patients/patient-information-leaflets/gynaecology/pi-alternatives-to-hormone-replacement-therapy-for-symptoms-of-the-menopause.pdf

Chicarn Wed 12-Jul-17 20:20:21

Thanks Pill

Chicarn Wed 12-Jul-17 20:21:16

Sorry Polly

Abra1d Wed 12-Jul-17 20:41:17

Silly me. I forgot that HRT is the only thing Polly lets us recommend. I imagine I sleep through the night without sweating whereas I didn't before.

Abra1d Wed 12-Jul-17 20:44:04

and I am, for the record, not a scammer -- you can see this by searching for my previous posts.

PollyPerky Wed 12-Jul-17 20:45:47

It's not ME Abra it's the medical profession.

nccih.nih.gov/health/magnet/magnetsforpain.htm

You sleep through the night because your hormones are not at this moment all over the place. That's what happens in peri.

Please find some independent evidence that proves the magnet works. Anecdotal evidence is not evidence.

Oly5 Wed 12-Jul-17 20:46:04

I agree that HRT got really bad press but some of the findings got revised. Yes there's a small increased risk of breast cancer if you take it long term but for so many women, the benefits outweigh this risk.

Abra1d Wed 12-Jul-17 20:47:13

Polly, I have repeatedly told you that I am not in peri.

PollyPerky Wed 12-Jul-17 20:49:32

There are some sorts of HRT where research shows NO increase in cancer. Not all HRT is the same. It's the synthetic progestogens that cause BC. You can use HRT that does not include synthetic progestogens.

This was discussed recently at the annual British Menopause Society conference. Tweets can be found on Twitter, if you use it. Also look at the research papers on the French study, using Utrogestan.

PollyPerky Wed 12-Jul-17 20:51:18

Abra- I don't keep a tab on your posts believe it or not! If you are not in peri then that is why you are having no symptoms- you are post meno and your hormones have settled down. Don't get why you are using a magnet or taking red clover if you are post meno and have no symptoms.

Abra1d Wed 12-Jul-17 20:56:25

Why are you still taking HRT if you are post menopause? Same reason. Symptoms don't stop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now