Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Menopause Testing Kits

(10 Posts)
DurhamDurham Tue 27-Jun-17 21:42:54

Does anyone have any experience of using those home testing kits to detect whether the menopause/peri menopause has started? I've seen one in Wilkinsons for a bargain £2.95 but I suppose it's only a bargain if they're accurate smile

DramaAlpaca Tue 27-Jun-17 23:18:50

I got one on Amazon. They test for a higher than normal level of follicle stimulating hormone in your urine, but they aren't sensitive enough to give you the exact level, just a positive or negative so they are quite vague really & I'm not convinced it was worth doing.

There were two tests in the kit I got, you had to do them a week apart. If you get a positive in both tests you might be menopausal because your FSH levels are higher than normal but the results aren't conclusive as they are just relevant to the cycle you take the test in as far as I'm aware.

PollyPerky Wed 28-Jun-17 07:10:51

^^ As above.

The question is, what would you do with that information if it were accurate?

Are you looking to relieve symptoms or just curious?

Menopause is defined as 12 months without a period.
peri meno is the years leading up to that and can be as many as 10 years from when things slowly start changing to no periods ever again.

DurhamDurham Wed 28-Jun-17 07:14:12

Thanks for that, I'll have a look at the ones on Amazon, the Wilkinsons one only has one test and I like the thought of having two in a pack. I'm almost 47 and having several symptoms so it's just out of curiosity.....and to try to explain my terrible mood swings and forgetfulness.

DurhamDurham Wed 28-Jun-17 07:16:37

Not entirely sure what I'll do with the information once I have it, I just feel that it's one way to explain the symptoms I'm having. I wouldn't go to the GP as I'm not 'ill' but maybe if I knew why I felt like I did I could manage it better, if that makes sense ?

yellowbumblebee Wed 28-Jun-17 07:30:34

I went to the Gp yesterday regarding perimenopausal symptoms - they can test your FSH levels to see but she explained that the problem with that is that at the peri stage that hormone still fluctuates quite a lot, so you would have to test over several months to get an accurate picture.

I would imagine it to be the same with those tests, although I'm not sure if a blood test would be more accurate?

DurhamDurham Wed 28-Jun-17 07:52:56

I'm sure a blood test would be more accurate and conclusive, maybe a trip to GP if these symptoms persist would be better than me obsessively testing myself every month. It won't make a difference really whether I am or not but I would like an explanation as to what's happening to my body and mind smile

PollyPerky Wed 28-Jun-17 08:35:14

But you have got your answer already! It's peri meno smile

Anywhere from 45-55 this is to be expected, but it does vary in severity.

PollyPerky Wed 28-Jun-17 08:36:26

Blood tests are not conclusive- see point made by other posters. Blood tests only show your hormones on that day. And in any case NICE has said no blood tests for peri meno on women over 45. (waste of NHS cash and doesn't achieve anything.)

DurhamDurham Wed 28-Jun-17 09:57:29

Polly you're right aren't you, I have my answer already don't I.
If the peri menopause is this much fun I'm dreading the actual full blown menopause.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now