Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Psuedo peri menopause??

(4 Posts)
Breadnroses Sat 03-Jun-17 00:35:38

So, I visited my GP this week to ask about going on HRT. Mood swings are awful, I'm having real trouble sleeping, it's impacting on me at work now. Plus night flushes.
He reviewed bloods that were done last year, and has suggested that as they were done when I was on the mini pill that I should consider coming off this, having a coil fitted and repeating the bloods three months post coil fitting.

The reason for this is that the mini pill can give false hormone levels, and therefore my symptoms could be psuedo menopause.

Has anyone heard of this please? Also, what is the coil like? I've been on the pill forever, I like the control it gives me.

PollyPerky Sat 03-Jun-17 11:47:15

I'm confused- are you still on the mini pill or only was when the blood tests were done?

The solution to this is easy smile

Unless you are under 45, GPs have been told by NICE not to do blood tests when the symptoms suggest peri meno.

Reason- inaccurate in most women.

Treat the symptoms- so if you want HRT ditch the pill, use another type of birth control and see if HRT helps.

Breadnroses Sat 03-Jun-17 21:12:07

I was on the mini pill when the blood tests were done, and still am now.

I had gone to my GP this week to ask about HRT, however, as strong family history of DVT, he wants to make sure that it actually is peri meno prior to referring me to haematology.

I get that he is being thorough.

PollyPerky Sat 03-Jun-17 22:53:17

Your GP is a bit misinformed.

Read the NICE guidelines yourself so you can discuss.

Your blood tests will not confirm peri or otherwise. They give a snapshot on the day that's all.

NICE advise transdermal HRT for women with clotting disorders- it doesn't raise the risk above your existing baseline.

Family history of DVT doesn't apply- only if you yourself have had one recently.

This is all online so you can research it yourself.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: