Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Hysterectomy next Tuesday!!!

(8 Posts)
BG2015 Wed 31-May-17 19:43:54

Had a phone call this afternoon. I've been waiting since February and I'm ready for it. I've been bleeding constantly for over a year because of fibroids my only relief has been Northisterone.

I think I've decided to keep my ovaries. Need to go shopping for a nightie and some BIG pants lol

musicalprof Wed 31-May-17 19:56:00

Had mine in 2012, also for fibroids, having had a myomectomy previously & then two c-sections, so rather an interesting 'map' on my tummy...! 🙂

Big pants definitely, but didn't need my nightie in hospital in the end as they gave hospital ones (but good idea to take one just in case). You'll also want loose fitting clothes for coming home; I wore a loose fitting dress.

Hope all goes well on Tuesday; life will be a lot easier afterwards (after, of course, you've taken some time to get back on your feet again). flowers

TwoBlueFish Wed 31-May-17 20:09:21

I had mine done for the same reasons last September. I wore PJ's after and it was fine. I am so glad I had mine done, took me a while to stop checking for bleeding every time I went to the loo! Take it easy and look after yourself.

BG2015 Wed 31-May-17 20:15:01

Thanks

It's going to be hard being inactive but I know it's necessary

MrsDoylesTeabags Wed 31-May-17 20:17:46

Good luck I hope all goes well for you.
I had a subtotal hysterectomy 2 years ago because of fibroids and it's lovely being period free.
Take your time to recover and make sure to take all support and help that's offered to you.
I wore a nighty in hospital as I had a catheter but comfy PJs at home, wear loose clothes as you'll be feeling tender. Constipation was another side effect for me Fig Activia, and prunes helped without being harsh and I got a little folding stool from home bargains to put my feet up when I was on the loo.
Go over to Hysterectomy Association website for lots of tips and support, it really helped me.

pilates Wed 31-May-17 20:18:02

Good luck for next week. It was life changing for me. 💐

Sallyswot1 Wed 31-May-17 20:33:05

How old are you? If you're perimenopausal I'd consider having your ovaries out too. They won't be functioning much longer, and can potentially be a source of difficult to diagnose cancer. If you're under 40, then it's a different matter!

happystory Wed 31-May-17 20:33:20

For me the tiredness was the worst. Needed a nap mid afternoon for about 2 weeks but then you have to break the habit. It's really ok and the benefits are so worth it. Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now