Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Bleed between periods

(24 Posts)
anyadviceplz Mon 29-May-17 11:40:04

Hi, I'm 46 and my periods have been changing over last 12 months. They were regularly 28 days always have been but sometimes now are 10 days over and last 2 or 3 months I have been bleeding again at day 18 then back to about 26. Is this start of menopause? Is it normal to bleed after 18 days? I will arrange to see doctor also thanks

ALaughAMinute Mon 29-May-17 18:19:17

Irregular periods are a common symptom of peri menopause but any prolonged bleeding or bleeding between periods should always be checked out by your GP.

runner2 Tue 30-May-17 09:54:09

Hi.I had exactly the same thing happen over a number of months until 3 months ago when my periods stopped completely (I'm 48). I discussed with GP a few months ago when I was bleeding between periods and she seemed pretty sure it was peri menopause. Blood test came back clear but she had forewarned that often happened but it still was most likely... If I were you though I would definitely still see your GP for advice as any changes like this need investigating. Good luck smile

PollyPerky Tue 30-May-17 10:11:18

I don't think you are actually bleeding between periods smile
What you describe are irregular cycles:
long cycles of 38 days ( 10 days longer than your normal 28 days) , an 18-day cycle and a 26 day cycle. This is not the same as bleeding between periods which would mean spotting or bleeding somewhere in the middle of a regular 28-30 day cycle.

At 46 this is going to be peri meno.

I had a 17 day cycle once though was older than you (early 50s) and other cycles that were 28 days or 5 weeks. Often in peri cycles do become shorter, not always longer, as people assume.

If you are worried see your GP but it sounds like par for the course at your age.

ArgyMargy Tue 30-May-17 10:20:47

What do you expect the GP to do? They can't turn back time. If you're not in pain or anaemic you're pretty much wasting their time.

runner2 Tue 30-May-17 10:42:54

For me going to my GP was really about getting reassurance and information as I was worried not just about the physical aspects but also the psychological... It's a difficult period (excuse the pun!) in most women's lives. Sorry if you think that's time-wasting.

PollyPerky Tue 30-May-17 11:22:10

There is no need to bother GPs with peri meno, unless you are worried the symptoms aren't that, or want HRT prescribing.

There is a huge amount of information online from very reputable sources - Women's Health Concern ( patient arm of the BMS) and the site Menopause Matters (written by the chair of the BMS.)

www.womens-health-concern.org/

All of this is googable by searching for peri meno, menopause symptoms, etc.

ArgyMargy Tue 30-May-17 11:30:37

Really? When people who are actually ill can't get appointments for weeks? Did you know the NHS is in crisis? Try & look after yourself for goodness sake.

loveka Tue 30-May-17 12:10:28

This is perimenpause. You aren't bleeding between periods, you're having another period.

It sounds like you are having 'The Rage' as well? Its very difficult, yes. Also being horribly clumsy?

I have been taking St John's Wort for this after 2 years of hell, feeling like I was going to kill someone.. It has really worked for me.

pombal Tue 30-May-17 12:14:06

This may or may not be perimenopause.
There are other things that cause bleeding between periods e.g. Polyps.
It needs to be evaluated by a doctor.

PollyPerky Tue 30-May-17 13:02:46

Most if not all women should be able to distinguish between a period - even if it comes at an unexpected time due to a change in cycles- and bleeding that really is not like a period at all.

Polyps (google) can cause bleeding but usually it's spotting, can be caused by sex, and may cause periods to be slightly longer or heavier.
In young women (not post menopause) bleeding that is not due to periods is rarely serious.

I agree that in some instances it's best to check with a GP BUT for someone aged 45+ (ish) who is typically in peri, and has irregular periods, they should be able to tell if the bleeding is a period (often preceded by PMS and typical cyclic changes ) or something entirely different, not related to hormones.

The only way to find a polyp is a pelvic scan unless the polyp is on the cervix (which is why it would bleed after sex.) Most GPs are not going to waste NHS resources by sending a 'peri' woman for a scan for irregular cycles.

anyadviceplz Wed 31-May-17 13:41:54

Thanks for your comments. I only mentioned GP as I had abnormal cells burnt off previously so I am extra careful in that area and may tend to worry a bit more. I have re-read my OP and can't see anywhere that mentions I would like to turn back time Marg... can you?! I think you're right about the peri though ladies.... thanks for your help. Also started to experience itching over my body so this seems to be another symptom.

QODRestYeMerryGentlemen Wed 31-May-17 13:45:44

If the bleeding is the Normal period type for you is not worry over much but maybe see practice nurse for blood test
With your history and a friends recent experience, if the blood is BLOOD as in gloppy like yiuve really cut yourself blood, if it pools in the bottom of the toilet pan and doesn't flush the first time always, please see your gp and explain it's not like period blood

My friend didn't and has now had full hysterectomy radio chemo etc

She mentioned bleeding in between periods but not that it seemed a different consistency

PollyPerky Wed 31-May-17 15:46:04

what was the matter with your friend?

Blood tests are not done on women over 45 who are in peri meno.

QODRestYeMerryGentlemen Thu 01-Jun-17 08:16:16

Really Polly? (Genuinely not being sarcastic) I'm in S E Kent and friend had test results last week that confirm she's going into menopause- it was a whole range of things they tested for
And if you're asking about my friend she had stage 2B cervical cancer - inoperable initially but chemo radio and then brachytherapy made it possible

PollyPerky Thu 01-Jun-17 10:08:41

I can't be bothered smile to link yet again to the NICE guidelines. I've done it zillions of times on this forum quite recently, but NICE says very very clearly that GPs are not to offer blood tests for peri meno in women over 45. Waste of money, not reliable, just deal with the symptoms by whichever way the woman wants.

My own experience showed how inaccurate they are- was told I was post meno (this was at 52) and yet went on to have periods for another 18 months. What is showed was the hormones were low ON THAT DAY.

I don't agree- sorry- with your description of what is normal blood loss and what you think is abnormal. I've had the kind of blood loss you describe as abnormal all my life with periods.

Normal period blood does settle in the loo pan and if it's a heavy flow may not flush first time. Sorry to hear about your friend- had she ignored earlier spotting or gone a long time with no smears?

loveka Thu 01-Jun-17 11:22:22

Christ Polly, you really are a judgemental so and so aren't you? Just read the tone of your last post would you? You aren't sorry about this friend, you think it's her fault in some way don't you? How vile.

Most women have never heard of perimenpause, and the symptoms can be truly awful and confusing. So they come on forums for advice and reassurance.

PollyPerky Thu 01-Jun-17 11:41:37

I think you need to consider asking for your post to be removed. calling something vile. How rude.

Most women do not go from having clear smears to full on bleeding and cancer overnight. No one said it was her fault. You are assuming rather a lot.

The topic is bleeding between periods. Yes, it can be a sign of cancer which is why women need to be a) up to date with smears and b)know what peri involves.
I don't agree that most women have not heard of peri meno.

QODRestYeMerryGentlemen Thu 01-Jun-17 21:07:20

The Dr ignoredn her symptoms as she said she was bleeding between periods
She said herself that her periods were nothing like that
In fact neither are mine? Because I dunno, the blood soaks into a pad or tampon. Doesn't drip or pour out of me (or her obviously ) when I have a weeeee
She had had a smear after her last child was born (3 yrs) and all was good

Rosie2105 Tue 06-Jun-17 14:46:06

My cycle seems to be the same as OP. Normally 28 days like clockwork but for the past six months its been 10 days late then a period 18 days after that, then back to 10 days late. All out of whack, my breasts are normally sore at the week before my period until I come on then they are ok but kind of know now when I'm going to get my period 18 days after because my breasts stay sore until I bleed. I'm only 43 and have had a (one) blood test and the reading (not sure which one) was 21, doctor told me anything over 30 is start of Menopause. So she basically said "Yes your probably at the beginning, would you like a leaflet?" She was in a bit of a rush as my app was 45 mins late. I'm feeling a bit up in the air at the moment about it, is it the start? None of my friends have spoken about menopause, I've asked sister in law who is a few years older but she isn't anywhere near starting. Feeling bit lonely about it really! x

PollyPerky Tue 06-Jun-17 15:19:46

I think you ought to go back to your GP or even ask for /pay a referral to a gynae if your GP is not helpful.

At 43 this is an early menopause ( or peri menopause) and you need some more tests along with HRT if your periods stop before 45.

Rosie2105 Tue 06-Jun-17 15:36:42

Hi PollyPerky. Thanks for your advice, I think I might see another GP just for a second opinion. Also just to clarify, my periods have not stopped but completely out of whack, as OP says one month 2 periods the next month normal and been like this for six months. Does this mean my periods are about to stop? I am due for a MOT next month or maybe August and the nurse I see is extremely helpful. So I will ask for some advice off her. This time last year at my last MOT I was a picture of health, gave up smoking, lost a few pounds and all bloods came back ok. This year I feel so different.

Rosie2105 Tue 06-Jun-17 15:48:19

Also any tips would be appreciated i.e. recommended vitamins and I think I read somewhere that going on the pill would balance periods out. Is this a wise move?

thanks.

PollyPerky Tue 06-Jun-17 16:26:18

well the pill would regulate your cycles but it won't deal with the long term effects of menopause.

There can be all sorts of reasons for wonky periods- thyroid issues, stress, ovarian cysts, etc etc.

TBH to get to the bottom of it you need several blood tests ( days 2-5 of a cycle) and even a pelvic scan.

Some younger women like you who are peri find the Pill helps.

You don't need vitamins if you have a good diet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now