Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Been thrown a curve ball because of no hot flushes.

(24 Posts)
HopeYourCakeIsShit Sun 28-May-17 16:27:25

About to hit 50 periods have been regular, but significantly heavier.
Am likely to be arrested for either shoplifting (memory is buggered) or murder (temper/moodswings are borderline psychotic)
I feel permanently hungover, constant headache, have had chronic headaches and nausea interspersed with awful dizzy spells.
Oh and ache all over, not forgetting awful morning anxiety.
Suddenly occurred to me I must be approaching menopause, but never gave it a thought as I have no sweats/flushes or anything.
Obviously not a candidate for hrt yet, but if you can recommend anything that might make me feel better I will love you forever/give you my house/ children/new puppy, whatever...

bruffian Sun 28-May-17 16:34:05

Drink tons of water.

My gp told me to do this. I was hmm but it really really helped.

Fwiw I felt exactly the same. Didn't have a period for 7 months. Then two normal periods. Now a 5 month gap. No hot flushes but apparently they come later!

HopeYourCakeIsShit Sun 28-May-17 16:39:18

Water really? I am hmm like you , but I'll give it a whirl. Thanks.
Oh I thought I'd escaped them then.
Oh dear, what joy!

HopeYourCakeIsShit Sun 28-May-17 16:41:57

See, my memory is so crap I didn't realise I'd already mentioned the headaches confused

Rednailsandnaeknickers Sun 28-May-17 16:43:56

A friend of mine was recommended to try a combo of red clover and black cohosh (sp?) for her symptoms by a sympathetic GP and now she swears by them. Said she feels like a different, sane!, person.

PollyPerky Sun 28-May-17 17:13:22

If you are not doing these already, try:

-Cut out caffeine and booze
-Reduce refined carbs and cut right back on sugar (max for an adult is 6 teaspoons daily for health- read labels of everything.)
-Increase intake of fruit, veg, good fats (olive oil,, avocado, oily fish, some nuts)
-Stay hydrated- don't see the point of gallons of water. the brain is made up of a lot of water so it needs to be topped up but if you exceed 1.5-2lts of day of all fluids you'll just spend your time weeing.
-EXERCISE- blood to the brain, sleep better, weight stays off.

And you don't HAVE to have hot flushes to use HRT. All the things you mention are due to falling oestrogen and erratic hormones. There are 34 peri symptoms smile

2014newme Sun 28-May-17 17:14:37

Why aren't you a candidate for HRT?
I'm peri and I'm on it.

2014newme Sun 28-May-17 17:16:17

And I have none of the sympoms you do. Gp prescribed it due to risk of weaker bones.

HopeYourCakeIsShit Sun 28-May-17 17:19:16

34!
Well I will definitely increase my water intake which I know is low, my dh reckons I'm part gerbil.
Have already cut out booze but have never felt worse grin
I am trying to do some structured exercise but have been struggling with joint pain. Had a frozen shoulder for 18 months which was horrendous.
Interesting about hrt although mum and gran had breast cancer so I am perhaps not an ideal candidate. I will look at that if things get worse however.
Thanks.

AndHoldTheBun Sun 28-May-17 17:21:22

Those symptoms could be lots of things, worth going to the doctor to discuss, have an "MOT".
GP could take bloods to check menopause, thyroid, Diabetes etc.

HopeYourCakeIsShit Sun 28-May-17 17:21:29

2014 I thought you had to be having vasomotor symptoms before they would consider hrt, read it somewhere can't remember where though.
Can I ask why you are on it if you have no symptoms? (not being arsey)

HopeYourCakeIsShit Sun 28-May-17 17:28:59

Polly, is there a point that one can reintroduce doughnuts, coffee and wine or is it mung beans and 10 mile hikes before dawn for the next 30 years? shock

bruffian Sun 28-May-17 17:33:22

My gp recommends only 3 years of hrt, I am waiting until the hot flushes hit in a year or so before I take it!!

2014newme Sun 28-May-17 17:33:31

Don't know what vasomotor means.
Dr prescribed it due to risk of weaker bones as previously mentioned. I'm mid forties so the bone weakening would be for longer so higher risk of breaks, fractures etc.

HopeYourCakeIsShit Sun 28-May-17 17:36:44

Oh i see.
Vasomotor, posh word for hot flushes and night sweats from what I can gather grin

2014newme Sun 28-May-17 17:41:00

Nope none of that
Hope won't get it with the HRT 😀
I'm never one to soldier on, love drugs

Deux Sun 28-May-17 17:47:09

Have a look at the NICE guidelines for Menopause here

www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng23

And here's a list of possible peri/Menopause symptoms

secure.thesurreyparkclinic.co.uk/sq.php

I'm 51, peri menopausal, still having periods and on HRT. It's been fab. And it doesn't need to be restricted to arbitrary lengths of time, personal circumstances excepted. It can be taken indefinitely and the benefits outweigh the risks up to age 60. Even then the risks are really quite small.

fuzzyfozzy Sun 28-May-17 17:51:46

Hi. Not to worry you but I have all of your symptoms and was diagnosed with polycythaemia Vera this year. Please go get a blood test to make sure.

PollyPerky Sun 28-May-17 17:57:44

it's so depressing reading the myths that GPs are still peddling about HRT ( ie time limits, who can have it, who can't blah balh...)

There is NO time limit to use of HRT.
If you are being told 3 years- bollocks.
You can stay on it for life.

Give yourselves 25 mins to watch this (someone posted it here last week.)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwjLP9O1inw

SafeToCross Sun 28-May-17 18:15:00

I have started HRT now, but found MenoMood supplements (St John's Wort and Black Cohosh) sorted my weepy moods and brain fog. I was also taking Red Clover and Estroplus (Soy Isoflavones) but only because they were on a 3 for 2 offer in Boots! Actually I think those are helpful too.

HopeYourCakeIsShit Sun 28-May-17 20:17:17

Thanks everyone for the advice.
fuzzy Looked at polycythaemia too which was slightly worrying as I have had 2 episodes in the last 12 months of what appeared to be gout.
Think I may visit the GP if I continue to feel as bad.

HopeYourCakeIsShit Sun 28-May-17 20:27:21

fuzzy meant to say I hope you are well and things are looking good.
flowers
(swiss cheese brain)

fuzzyfozzy Sun 28-May-17 20:45:46

It is a massive curve ball!
Good luck x

PollyPelargonium52 Sun 04-Jun-17 09:05:08

A good strategy to combat headaches is to get hold of an Indian Head Massage training dvd and just do the scalp rub twice a week. You can leave out the back arms and face parts. I went on a residential weekend course years ago and kept hold of the DVD and I find just 15 mins or so rub seems to really help. I might wake up the next time with a slightly achey head but it is just a small aspect of the detox side to the rub which does wear off after half an hour or so. I try to rub my head extra hard too and it will also help stimulate hair growth and hair condition.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now