Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Carol Vorderman and Estrogel

(3 Posts)
pandorawithtreaclecolouredhair Mon 22-May-17 12:08:25

Read in a magazine recently about Carol Vorderman's battle with menopausal/hormone-related depression, and how she had felt competely differerent after starting on Estrogel.
Is this treatment available on the NHS, or how is it accessed if not?
Wondered if it might help me.
Guess I am menopausal, as I am 53, and have not had a period for 4 months. My symptoms are not as bad as Carol's: she felt suicidal at times, and mine is more of a low mood, and regularly feeling "on edge", tearful and emotional. I also have night sweats and lie awake for a couple of hours in the night, so I wake up tired.
Would appreciate any advice.

PollyPerky Mon 22-May-17 14:44:36

The feature which was in the Mail (or wherever you read about it) was not terribly accurate. It gave the impression that the HRT products CV uses are ONLY available privately. This is nonsense. Oestrogel has been and is available on the NHS. It is mainstream treatment.
You can't use JUST the gel- if you have a womb still- you also have to use a progestogen for 12 days a month to mimic a natural cycle. Have a good read of Menopause Matters website- menu for Treatments/ HRT/ types.

pandorawithtreaclecolouredhair Mon 22-May-17 16:38:43

You're right, Polly, the article wasn't really very clear.
Thanks for your advice.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: