Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Still having horrible very low moods on hrt.

(25 Posts)
babayjane67 Mon 15-May-17 09:21:25

Am seeing my Dr on Wednesday for my 3 month review but just wanting some advice in the meantime really.
Am on Estradiol 25mcg& am currently on my 3rd different make of them which is Estradot.
Two of these patches have fallen off but I haven't noticed for a day or 2.my mood just goes right down&/or I get snappy& can't stop myself from saying things I shouldn't again!my eldest dd& myself have recently fallen out& I haven't seen her or my grandchildren for a month.
I have a 'best' friend who I haven't seen for ages&who never makes the effort to come here.it's usually me that initiates everything.we are supposed to be going to a music festival the end of this month but I'm thinking what's the point?we hardly ever spk to each other.i might as well just sell the ticket& get my money back!
Do you think my moods are plummeting due to these patches falling off?is it just a case of asking not to have this particular brand again as the others haven't fallen off.they may come slightly unstuck but never fallen off!
Or should I be put on a higher dose of hrt?
It's estrogen only as I've had a hysterectomy just over a yr ago.
Can anyone help?am having a very low crap couple of days.
Tia

PollyPerky Mon 15-May-17 10:46:26

That's a tiny, tiny dose for you- not sure how old you are?

If you ovaries have packed up due to the op, you may need to go up to a much higher dose.

TBH I'd try gel rather than patches- that way you can control the amount and increase it till you get some improvement.

I also think you are possibly blaming HRT or hormones for other stuff going on in your life. If you have a one-sided friendship, deal with it, as that's nothing to do with hormones, is it?

babayjane67 Mon 15-May-17 11:13:08

Thanks Polly you've helped me before.I'm a month away from being 50.still have my ovaries.
I had the patches eventually once the Dr actually listened to me armed with advice u gave me& from Nice guidelines!
No can't blame hormones for her behaviour.it just really gets me down as has falling out with my dd.

babayjane67 Mon 15-May-17 11:15:02

Is there a test I can or need to have to find out whether my ovaries have packed up?

PollyPerky Mon 15-May-17 12:43:06

NICE don't recommend blood tests for women over 45; they say use HRT if you have symptoms and if it works, that's the answer. Blood tests are unreliable because your hormones can change daily until you are really post meno.

Sorry about your friend sad

Hope you get the right dose to help.

babayjane67 Mon 15-May-17 12:56:23

Thanks Polly i hope so too.

babayjane67 Mon 15-May-17 18:02:56

Can u still use the gel if u have a clotting disorder?that's why I'm on patches as they're much lower risk.

PollyPerky Mon 15-May-17 19:05:41

Yes absolutely. Gel and patches are called 'transdermal' and are exactly the same re. lower risks.

babayjane67 Mon 15-May-17 20:14:54

OK thanks again Polly!

Hellothereitsme Mon 15-May-17 22:11:02

I started on 50 mcg of Estradot and consultant has just increased it to 75 as I am still getting symptoms. 25 is very low. I'm 52 and not had periods for 2 years.

babayjane67 Tue 16-May-17 09:25:34

Have you had any trouble with the Estradot patches falling off after a shower Hello?

Hellothereitsme Tue 16-May-17 16:24:46

No in the two months I've had one patch fall off, I don't put moisturiser on that region. On holiday with lots of pool swimming I will probably put a plaster over it to keep it in place. Not been in the bath to test it.

babayjane67 Tue 16-May-17 17:21:18

OK thanks. I've had 2 come off now in the couple of weeks I've been on this brand!
I don't put moisturiser on that region either. Good idea re the swimming!

woollyminded Tue 16-May-17 17:31:54

Hi. It's a load of shit isn't it. I'm out this other side now (47) and stabilised but the furious-angsty-tearful-stupids really got to me. I was also going to suggest the no moisturiser and plaster too. Watch out for moisturising shower gels and bubble baths as well. And the sweats, dearjeezus the sweats, always have a quick check after one of those (while sitting on the loo crying and raging, gives you something else to do!)

How are you sleeping? The frequent waking up and subsequent low level exhaustion had as much of an impact on my mood as the hormones directly I think.

babayjane67 Tue 16-May-17 19:39:06

It certainly is woolly!hate it!the moods for me are the worst!I had a couple of hot flushes before starting hrt& an odd night sweat but that's it.
I get to sleep OK most nights though sometimes it takes me a while.I have nights where I toss& turn a lot,throw off the cover then have to put it back on again!
I always wake up early in the morning!usually by half 5 ish I just go ping! I'm awake!lnot great!

Nellyphants Tue 16-May-17 19:45:24

Hi babay I'm on estradot, I find they fall off too. I just make sure the skin is as dry as possible after the shower. (Use the hair dryer on the skin). I think though they're supposed to work for a 24 hour period so as long as you keep patch on for at least 24 hours. I could be wrong though

babayjane67 Wed 17-May-17 12:46:58

I change mine twice a week Nelly on a Monday& Friday.
Have seen the Dr this morn& she's upped doseage to 50mcg now& hopefully I won't get the Estradot ones again!
So am hoping this does the trick though obviously can't put the new patch on till Friday!
Polly I mentioned the gel to her& she said the dose is double the dose of the patches& it's a bit hit& miss as to if u put enough on or not.so I decided to stick with the patches for now.

Eatingcheeseontoast Wed 17-May-17 12:50:59

Getting the dose right is important.

My GP recommended Agnus castus for The Rage, and despite being sceptical, it seems to be helping. It's horrible, but does get better.

babayjane67 Wed 17-May-17 13:02:55

Thanks Eating.I can't keep taking time off work when this happens as I just plummet!
Forgot to say that Dr also said to me at some point though u will have to face the symptoms as u can't stay on it all the time!we will keep u on it about 5 yrs.
I told her I have friends who've been on it ages!
I'm sure I also read somewhere that u can stay on it for however long!
So what's right?

babayjane67 Wed 17-May-17 18:25:02

Pollyperkyis she right?
I will try& read the Nice guidelines again later.

PollyPerky Wed 17-May-17 18:52:33

HRT has no time limits.

BMS statement (same as NICE.)

Here thebms.org.uk/publications/consensus-statements/hormone-replacement-therapy/

There never was a '5 year rule' it was thought by some drs that 'short term' was around 2-5 years. It was never set in stone.

If you do not want to stop say you don't want to stop and ask why they think you should. Drs have to explain the risks- ie there MAY be a small increase in breast cancer with long term use, but at the same time they have to explain the benefits- better bones, less heart disease, less bowel cancer, less pelvic atrophy. Then YOU decide which way you want to go with it all.

babayjane67 Wed 17-May-17 19:09:50

That's what I thought! Seems she's behind in her thinking again!
Thanks for that Polly.

LightYears Wed 17-May-17 19:27:14

Would phoning your daughter and saying I'm sorry I love you Help.

babayjane67 Wed 17-May-17 20:26:16

We are talking now Light though not as before.I'm sure it will sort itself out thank you.

babayjane67 Fri 19-May-17 06:39:17

Picked up my prescription last night as chemist had to order them in& I'm now on Femseven.has anyone on or been on this particular brand?
As I've said previously it's the 50mcg one now.
Have to put first one on today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now