Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Don't like progesterone - HRT recommendation

(10 Posts)
friendlyflicka Wed 03-May-17 17:58:56

I have never got on with synthetic progestorone - mini pill or even combined pill.

I am 50, last period was 10 mths' ago, before that 6 monthly for 2 years. I am really lacking in energy. I have tried eating healthily and think I lead a pretty healthy lifestyle but I am missing the oestrogen in my life.

I know I have to take some progesterone as I have a uterus. What would be the best sort of HRT for me to take with the minimum progesterone and a steady level of oestrogen to help with energy levels?

PollyPerky Wed 03-May-17 22:35:50

It's really a case of trial and error.

There are 3 sorts, plus the Mirena.

Norethisterone- synthetic
dydrogesterone- synthetic but slightly more like our own.
Utrogestan- micronised progesterone
Mirena- synthetic

Some women like Femoston which has dydrogesterone
I am reasonably happy with Utrogestan but some women hate it.

You've just got to give them a go. They are smaller doses than the Pill.

friendlyflicka Wed 03-May-17 23:34:18

thanks PollPerky, so if I took a transdermal low dose oestrogen, would i then just take the progestorone when I needed to have a bleed? And which would sound like the best way to replace oestrogen for me? tablet, patch or gel?

PollyPerky Thu 04-May-17 08:19:36

Yes.

I think it's personal preference on how you get oestrogen. Transdermal (patch or gel) is safer re blood clots and advised if you want to carry on longer term. It also means you can usually use a lower dose as it's absorbed through the skin rather than swishing around your intestines and being poorly absorbed.

friendlyflicka Thu 04-May-17 08:23:08

thanks very much for your help. I don't want to tell the doctor what to do but would like to have some idea of what I need before my appt.

PollyPerky Thu 04-May-17 08:38:04

Don't think of it as 'telling your dr what to do'. You are an informed, intelligent woman- it's a joint discussion- the dr isn't God!

friendlyflicka Thu 04-May-17 08:55:11

I know. It's just I don't know a lot either, and I am not usually good with the first choice of hormones in contraceptive term - i.e. combined pill or mini pill. So I don't think I am going to be straightforward with HRT. I was going to avoid it for this reason, but I am really struggling with exhaustion and heat!

friendlyflicka Tue 16-May-17 22:05:35

* PollyPerky * Thanks so much. I got the gel and utrogestan 10 days' ago. Am feeling the effects of the gel and I feel like the best of my normal self. That has made such a huge difference to me. I was barely functioning before. I had to make a flask of coffee the night before to get out of bed in the morning, and I am a sole parent of 2 girls.

I have read all your posts on here about the benefits of HRT and finally just thought I would keep an open mind and read a bit more. I had discounted it as I really didn't get on with the pill. I am so glad I did. I think you need an award for all the women you have helped. Thank you

PollyPerky Wed 17-May-17 11:22:32

Ah- that's great for you! So pleased it's making a difference. (I'm just repeating what I've learned via my own dr a lot of the time...) Hope you keep on feeling good.

borntobequiet Sat 20-May-17 13:43:37

I have endured hideous hormonal issues all my life. I am progesterone intolerant and the utrogestan made me very ill. I attended a very highly regarded (NHS) clinic and was persuaded to try the Mirena coil - didn't want to as have had issues with inter uterine devices in the past, but was assured that if it didn't suit I could have it out. However apart from a couple of months of cramping, it's been great. I use Oestrogel as well, two pumps daily. I can truly say I have never felt better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now