Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Anybody else on Prozac for hot flushes?

(6 Posts)
mrwalkensir Mon 24-Apr-17 09:33:36

Started on it last week and hoping that the agonising indigestion will pass....

PollyPerky Mon 24-Apr-17 10:00:48

I'm not but I know that unless there are medical reasons that you can't have HRT for flushes, GPs are advised by Nice not to prescribe prozac etc for flushes.

mrwalkensir Mon 24-Apr-17 12:16:12

Yep - need to chat with my consultant as to exactly why I can't have HRT. Some sources say the indigestion can pass after 3 or 4 weeks but not sure that I can put up with it for that long. Although on the plus side I may shift some weight grin

Igglepigglehadasplat Mon 24-Apr-17 15:07:21

I was on venlafaxine (a different antidepressant) for a while. It did help with the hot flashes and insomnia but not many other other issues. They should only be used if there is a reason why hrt isn't suitable. (I was on it as at 40 my gp wasn't happy to put me straight on hrt as my fsh level wasn't technically high enough to be diagnostic and he wanted to see what happened over a few months. )

Hellothereitsme Tue 25-Apr-17 17:01:41

Why take anti depressants when you are not depressed? That seems very old fashioned. I've just started HRT and for the first time in 2 years am starting to sleep through the night. Bliss.

mrwalkensir Tue 25-Apr-17 18:10:13

Hi Hello. My gp was twitchy about HRT as I had an oestrogen sensitive breast cancer a couple of years back. Might go and chat to my very lovely oncologist again though. The hot flush thing happens to be a side effect of prozac. Was concerned it might make me hyper, but apparently it's unlikely grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now