Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Is this peri?

(10 Posts)
ImNotReallyReal Sun 16-Apr-17 13:57:59

So after six months of periods that look like a crime scene I went to the doctors. They can vary between 25 and 35 days apart. I never dare go outside without a pad at all, I'm always spotting in between periods.

I had a US scan this morning, nothing unusual showed up. Just a couple of very small fibroids which have been there for at least six years.

In the last 70 days I've bled or spotted for 50 days, pain for 40 days. I have blood clots the size of a boiled egg for about three days each period and flooding three super tampons in a hour on the worst days (usually only two days per month, but it can also happen when I ovulate).

I'm 43, I've had two c sections, I definitely ovulate - I told the doctor today and even said which ovary was brewing. He said yes, your left ovary is just about to release an egg.

As the scan showed nothing abnormal I'm wondering what do I do next? I've had the usual first line meds (NSAID and meta acid?) from the GP but it's not helped. If anything it's made the flooding worse.

Should I push for a further referral or is this just par for the course with peri meno? Has anyone any ideas on what I should ask for? I'm having to take two days a month off work as I can not take the tube to work because of the flooding.

Also, don't mention my mood swings or I may just lose it angry

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Joto369 Sun 16-Apr-17 17:24:34

I bet my mood swings could give yours a run for their money 😉😉😉 if I was you I would push for more tests. I'm no expert but periods can and do change but this is affecting your life so needs sorting. Someone will be along with more knowledge will be along I'm sure and will be able to advise xx

Joto369 Sun 16-Apr-17 17:25:23

Peri also makes you type things twice it appears sorry!

PollyPerky Sun 16-Apr-17 17:37:19

Mirena coil? Not been offered?

ImNotReallyReal Sun 16-Apr-17 18:13:44

Thanks, I have a history of depression (severe depression, have been hospitalised, but am now looking at it as something that all happened after 40, is there a hormonal link?), my mum died of a stroke at 46. I'm not sure how that affects me, I guess I need to do some research my condition and her history too. But I'm adopted so my history is sparse.

It's definitely impacting my life now, I've lost six days work this year due to bleeding. I could have worked, just couldn't leave the house (oh and the pain is pretty bad during my period and ovulation, but I double up on nurofen and paracetamol painkillers which contain codeine). I have told my GP this. I am not overdosing in any way. It just seems so annoying that if it's peri I may have another few years of this?

P.S. I tend to say things twice, it must be a symptom 😂

Joto369 Sun 16-Apr-17 18:53:56

I forget things twice too 😂😂 just got so bloody annoyed with myself cos I couldn't find the door key in my pocket. Rifling through all pockets in a rage. Found key in pocket. Blamed coat for having too big pockets. Gotta love mood swings!!! My anxiety, mood and lack of confidence has got much worse over the last couple of years so I definitely think hormones play their part. You definitely can't continue with that level of bleeding and pain. Back to GP!

ImNotReallyReal Sun 16-Apr-17 19:18:54

Rage? No way, it's your pockets fault. Your pockets are irrational and obviously hormonal 😉

I'll get myself back off to the GP as this cant continue. Thanks to all who have responded so kindly.

I'm in a pickle as to what to do as my depression history doesn't seem to place me as a candidate for hormone therapy such as the mirena (correct me if I'm wrong.

I tried the mini pill (Cezarette) but I just bled constantly for six months and it never settled despite my GP saying it would.

I have had my children and don't mind anything that stops me being fertile, which it appears like

ImNotReallyReal Sun 16-Apr-17 19:19:56

Post too soon:

Which it appears like I am.

picklemepopcorn Sun 16-Apr-17 20:00:09

Other hormonal issues can be the problem too. Underactive thyroid can influence it for example. It's a pain in the proverbial, that's for sure. And when life events are stressful, it's hard to know what to blame- the event, your hormones, or depression/anxiety. Well that's my problem, anyway!

ImNotReallyReal Sun 16-Apr-17 21:21:11

I'm waiting on my blood test results. I'll call the GP on Tuesday.

Life is stressful, two children aged 4 and 5. I run my own business and have been expecting to sign a lucrative contract since January - it finally came through on Thursday evening.

Who knows where the mind ends and the body begins. I seem to be a mess of hormones and life issues.

I just guess I should feel lucky to be in a position to think it's hormonal as my family is complete and my career is better than it was pre children. I just want to enjoy it and not bleed/have PMT 80% of the time. Poor DH doesn't know if he's getting happy me or ranting me on a daily basis. Something just feels not right. GP says I'm too young for peri at 43 confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now