Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

On Evorel Sequi. When to switch to Evorel Conti?

(4 Posts)
Snowbell Fri 14-Apr-17 10:06:13

Hi people, I have been taking Evorel Sequi for about 6 months and it has really helped. I am going back to the doctor next week for a new prescription. She said in passing that this time she would probably put me on Evorel Conti. I'm not sure this is the right time to switch. I think she is saying this because of my age - I will be 56 next month. Before I started taking Evorel last winter I was still having a period roughly every two months. And since I started taking it I think I have had 2 or 3 what I think are proper periods. My mum had a late menopause - in fact she had a hysterectomy at age 55 because of heavy periods, so she hadn't yet had the menopause. I thought Evorel Conti was for women who had had the menopause. As I don't think I am there yet, can I insist on staying on Evorel Sequi? Or, actually, does it even matter if I do switch? I don't feel like I want to take Progestogen all the time.

PollyPerky Fri 14-Apr-17 11:33:36

Conti is for women 12 months without a natural period OR over 54 (on the basis they are not having periods.)

However, there is no need to ever switch if you prefer not to. I'm early 60s and still on sequi as I don't want to take progesterones every day. This is not that usual but it's under guidance from my consultant who is open to more flexible regimes than most GPs.

Snowbell Sat 15-Apr-17 09:52:47

Thanks Polly. That's really helpful. I will argue my case, if I need to! As far as I can see it wouldn't do me any harm to stay on Sequi.

PollyPerky Sat 15-Apr-17 13:13:33

There are many reasons why reducing the progestogen part or keeping it to a minimum is a good idea. For women using HRT long term it's possible that the synthetic progestogens are what may trigger breast cancer. Not proven but studies seem to show added risk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now