Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

odour with mirena coil ?!!

(12 Posts)
menoppy Sun 09-Apr-17 17:45:38

i've been having a disgusting odour 'down there' a little spotting and slight bloating since having the mirena coil fitted just over a week ago. It's not fishy like with BV, nonetheless, it is repulsive and I'm aware of it - especially in the gym. Im not sure if I'm a bit down in the dumps too.

Will this all go away - including the smell - soon? or should I make an appointment to get it removed and go back on the Femoston. I was Okay on the Femoston - just had a bit of breakthrough bleeding/erratic periods. I was on 2mg.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Sun 09-Apr-17 18:30:18

It could be the odour from the spotting but I would see a doctor and get a swab done in case of infection.
Bloating and down in the dumps goes with the Mirena, I got that to begin with but it did settle and only happens from time to time now.
I don't think you need to rush and get it removed unless you really won't to. Why did change to the Mirena if you were happy with the Femoston?

menoppy Sun 09-Apr-17 18:52:56

I've had spitting before, but it's never smelled like this? How long did it take for the smell to go with you?

Thanks NK. I changed because the gynae recommended it as My periods were erratic and I was getting facial flushing and night sweats so thought I needed a higher dose of oestrogen. I've put about 4kg too this last week!! How long do you think I should wait?

menoppy Sun 09-Apr-17 18:53:29

Spotting, not spitting grin

BubbleBed Sun 09-Apr-17 18:54:31

I'd go and get a swab. It could be a slight infection from insertion, it can happen. Get it checked.

Patchouli666 Fri 14-Apr-17 13:46:13

First couple of weeks post iud fitting is a common point to get an infection. It sounds like you have an infection. You can get a swab done at your local sexual health clinic or by nurse at the surgery.

menoppy Thu 20-Apr-17 16:20:56

I've asked my doctor to call me back today, couldn't do anything while the kids were on holiday. It's not as bad as it was, but still there. My bf said he noticed it blush. If it is an infection it's weird because it started more or less straight away after it was inserted.

menoppy Thu 14-Sep-17 18:50:09

Thought I'd post an update I case useful for anyone.

Okay. So I endured it for just over 3 months. The smell never quite went away and I got my ancient acne back. I went to have it removed at the gp, but the nurse tasked with such things couldn't find the strings and referred me to the hospital.. Anyway, long story short, terrified it had become lost - I had a fish around myself to check - felt the strings easily, gave them a gentle tug while checking the length, and it just kinda popped out!! I crapped myself thinking I'd done something terribly wrong but apart from getting a period over the following few days and feeling a bit crampy, I was fine. A couple of weeks later the smell had entirely gone, a coupe of weeks after that my skin totally cleared up. Back on Femoston with a top up 1mg oestrogen gel sachet, and I feel just fine, totally back to normal :-)

Branleuse Thu 14-Sep-17 19:02:29

I had a bit of a metallic smell when I had the copper coil. I cant remember a smell with mirena, but I know i gained loads of weight and didnt feel right

Branleuse Thu 14-Sep-17 19:02:55

im glad yours is all sorted out now.

menoppy Thu 14-Sep-17 19:17:07

Me too Bran. Big relief 😊

It wasn't a metallic smell. It was more like something had crawled up there and died confused So very embarrassing

alwaysthepessimist Mon 18-Sep-17 11:14:01

I had my mirena out last year & chose to be sterilised at the same time. I had the coil put in 12 weeks after having my dd - I was 41, within a week I had acne, I piled (I mean piled) weight on no matter what I ate, I became very depressed, no sex drive, horrible smell (no infection), basically felt lousy, put up with it for 3 years as the gp and family planning kept telling me it was fine, eventually demanded it be removed & I be sterilised, got my wish for both, within 2 weeks sex drive was back to normal, skin started clearing but I am still having some issues, no more anti depressants and weight is slowly but surely coming off. If anyone ever asks my opinion I tell them to run for the hills and not have it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now