Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Same age of menopause as mother?

(3 Posts)
mackerelle Sun 09-Apr-17 15:40:45

My mum and I both started our periods at 12.
We both had exactly the same problem with giving birth (cervix wouldn't dilate past 3cm).
She started menopause at 39 (not 100% sure what she means by that, will question her further). I'm nearly 40 and have previously had extremely regular periods of 28/29 days. I'm 9 days late in my current cycle which is unheard of for me. Absolutely no chance of being pregnant.
I know 39 is very early to start menopause, but do you think this could be it? If so, do I need to do anything or just let it run its course? I'm shamefully ignorant about all this.

PollyPerky Sun 09-Apr-17 17:44:32

Google 'early menopause '. This is when periods stop before 45. Premature menopause is before 40. Both have long term health implications- osteoporosis and heart disease due to loss of oestrogen up to 10 years too soon compared to average age of 52.

The treatment is HRT or for young women sometimes the BC pill Qlaira.

Have a read but Do something if your periods go AWOL before 45.

mackerelle Sun 09-Apr-17 17:54:23

Thanks Polly. I think I'll see if similar happens next month. I'm googling that now, thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now