Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

How do you know if you need HRT?

(6 Posts)
Destinysdaughter Sun 02-Apr-17 17:03:10

I'm 52 and last year periods stopped for 4 months, then I had 2, now stopped again. Had hot flushes but no other symptoms ( except not much sex drive ), just wondered what the benefits of HRT were and if it's worth going to GP for a chat/check up? Or not...?

PollyPerky Sun 02-Apr-17 19:32:27

There are benefits to HRT but you would probably have a problem getting an NHS dr to give it to you if you don't have symptoms that are really bothering you.

The new NICE guidelines say each woman has to be treated as an individual and risk / benefits weighed up.

I was adamant I'd not use HRT, but insomnia and hourly hot flushes ( awful when in a client facing role) made me ask for it. Now used it for 8 years. I think the benefits for bones and heart are important (for me personally) as well as bladder and vaginal health.

You need to do some reading around it- Menopause Matters is a great site- read the blogs on the Home page by Dr Currie.

Destinysdaughter Sun 02-Apr-17 20:09:44

Thanks Polly

dementedma Sun 02-Apr-17 20:11:19

It helps me when hot flushes were becoming completely unbearable, but you will get a lot of conflicting advice as to what works and what doesn't.

Mermaidinthesea123 Tue 04-Apr-17 21:23:29

Your colleagues tell you they won't work with you any more if you don't start taking it is when grin yes they really did. Much better now after HRT.

Destinysdaughter Tue 04-Apr-17 22:18:19

Igrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now