Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Day 67 and no period... do they ever just stop dead like that?

(18 Posts)
lborgia Sat 01-Apr-17 02:15:16

Hello, I wonder if any of you have experienced this - a gynaecologist told me last year that I was very probably perimenopausal, given list of symptoms etc.

I've started a new job this year, been distracted by other things, and used to periods being up to 10 days late, so hadn't noticed til relatively recently.... but now it's been 67 days since my last first day of a period, I'm wondering whether I should get excited/start sobbing, because this is all done and dusted?

I'm "only" 47, but it's all been horribly heavy and slightly erratic for the last 7 year as since ds was born, I had two iron infusions last year, and before this I actually had 3 relatively normal (just heavy not hideous) and evenly spaced cycles.

Thanks.

lborgia Sat 01-Apr-17 02:15:54

Oh, and I'm not pg!

Out2pasture Sat 01-Apr-17 02:56:43

this happened to me, I assumed it was normal. around that age as well. regular then once every 6 months for ohhh 2 years then nothing.

AcrossthePond55 Sat 01-Apr-17 04:49:18

Same here, but I started around 50. I'd go a few months without, then have one or two, then a few more months. Went on like that for, as out said, a couple of years then suddenly nothing. It's great!

I also didn't have much in the way of 'power surges' (hot flushes) or emotional ups and downs.

lborgia Sat 01-Apr-17 06:39:54

Mm, difficult for me to know what is new emotions and what is my usual unregulated mess, but I do feel as if I'm finding it more difficult to hold it together.

THanks for that. Ironically, a couple of hours after I posted, I got a tiny bit of spotting.. but it would be great if my gynae history did not reflect my mother's! Nothing else has mind you...

Thanks again!

Truckingalong Sat 01-Apr-17 07:23:01

Early onset is really common. I think we're conditioned to think of the menopause as something that happens in your 50s but it's just as likely to occur in your 40s.

PollyPerky Sat 01-Apr-17 07:30:48

'Normal' range of meno (last period ever) is 45-55. Some women are earlier and that's early meno and older than about 55 is 'late'

You're only going to be able to judge if this is The End with hindsight.
Periods can go AWOL for months then reappear- even after 10 or 11 months.

My own started to fluctuate around 52 and thankfully I missed only a couple, then a few more regular light ones, then missed 4, then no more after a month or two of light spotting.

The typical meno symptoms may not actually start till your periods have stopped. oestrogen declines rapidly for 2 years after the final period so hot flushes, aches and pains, bladder issues etc may only start later.

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 01-Apr-17 07:30:59

I went 100 days without a period and got quite excited that that was it. Sadly, I am now back to 28 days and as regular as clockwork. I am 52.

JustPoppingBy Sat 01-Apr-17 08:14:39

At age 47, for 2 years I had a period approximately every 5-6 months, the duration got less and less then stopped completely. I was always worried about being caught by a surprise one so I used the thin liners for about a year until I realised I probably wasn't going to have any more.

lborgia Sat 01-Apr-17 10:07:25

This is all so interesting. .i might have to stay on this forum for a bit.

The gyno didn't seem that surprised, but every gp since has pretty much disbelieved that he ever said it as I'm"only" 46. I wonder why they don't know the basic age range.

Maybe I'll draw up a basic list, print, laminate, and hand out to the relevant surgeries!

I think I'm going to have to do some more research ask you more questions as I suddenly feel underprepared.

lborgia Sat 01-Apr-17 10:11:57

Ps i know my age changed there, but I'm nearly 47 and trying to get used to it! I'm very bad at the sevens, as in (wailing) "I might as well be 20", "I might as well be 30".. and at 37 "my life is over, I'm never going to be a ballet dancer, and I still haven't sorted out my laundry pile". I'm slightly more stoic/resigned this time around gringin

7to25 Sat 01-Apr-17 10:15:14

Your next one will come with unexpected gushing force when you are sitting on your friends cream sofa.
Just saying.

lborgia Sat 01-Apr-17 10:29:31

Thanks for that grin

Guiltypleasures001 Sat 01-Apr-17 10:34:55

Mine go off for a month or 2 then bring their own CSI unit 😩

sayatidaknama Sat 01-Apr-17 10:42:25

I'm a year older than you OP and my periods, or non periods, have been like this for about 18 months. When I do get one it's really light and lasts about one day. I've always had short cycles (23 days) which may explain starting at 46 confused

ayahuasca Sat 01-Apr-17 10:43:37

Mine stopped v suddenly around 40? But were not ever regular. Then after 'emergency stop' treatment for an overactive thyroid there was an episode of menstruating every 3 minutes for maybe a few months, like every other week, then they stopped again and haven't come back - 46 now. There was such an overlap of menopause and hyperthyroidism I didn't notice any specific menopausal symptoms, never had a hot flush or whatever.

mars62 Sat 01-Apr-17 17:52:32

My periods stopped bang on my 50th Birthday after being regular as clockwork have not had one since. I am now 54 and in the process of coming off HRT due to it giving me horrible anxiety and depression only took it for hot flushes which started about a year after my last period, going to try to get through menopause without it but not too optimistic confused

PollyPerky Sat 01-Apr-17 20:11:58

mars- you may find that it's the type of progestogen that gives you the anxiety especially if you were / are using a conti (no bleed type.)

I (and other women I know) choose to stick to a sequi type even in our 60s in order to take less progestogen and avoid the side effects it can have.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now