Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Night sweats - what kind of duvet do I need?

(19 Posts)
veneeroftheweek Wed 29-Mar-17 21:39:03

I've started having night sweats and have realised that my duvet is making me much too hot. I need to get something much lighter and seem to remember people recommending a particular kind, possibly wool? Have I completely imagined that some people find it helps and any tips on getting the correct one please?

ThisCharmingW0man Wed 29-Mar-17 22:05:08

Wool duvets are meant to be good for reducing night sweats. Also worth trying sage tablets if you haven't already - they've improved mine significantly.

starsinyourpies Wed 29-Mar-17 22:18:01

I have a 2.5 tog one from John Lewis which is perfect when I get night sweats.

PollyPerky Wed 29-Mar-17 22:54:05

HRT is better than buying new duvets!

veneeroftheweek Thu 30-Mar-17 18:10:11

Thanks all. Good tip about the sage too - I haven't tried it.

I'm not quite ready for HRT yet but definitely need a new duvet anyway!

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Fri 31-Mar-17 21:59:10

Just here to second the sage recomendation. I have just started Natures's Garden sage leaf from Holland & Barret, and noticed a real difference within 48 hrs.

Beachturtle Fri 31-Mar-17 22:01:59

Sheet and blankets so much better than duvet. You can layer them according to need and they somehow keep you cooler - duvets seem to trap all the heat and insulate me!

WandaOver Fri 31-Mar-17 22:07:10

Best results for me were :
Two single duvets so DH could have 15 togs to my 5.
A cotton sheet under my duvet, partly to absorb sweat and partly so I didn't freeze when I threw off the duvet.
Polly always advocates HRT but it's not everyone's choice.

Truckingalong Sat 01-Apr-17 07:27:07

I bought a very expensive silk duvet from a recommendation on here but I don't rate it at all. It's very heavy and not got that fluffy cloud feeling that's so lovely! Most importantly though, it doesn't regulate my temperature and so was a big waste of money for me. Knicker magnate and sage tablets work for me.

PollyPerky Sat 01-Apr-17 07:34:41

Polly always advocates HRT but it's not everyone's choice.

I throw it in as a suggestion . Reason being is that the medical stats show it's safe and even beneficial for overall health for almost all women up to the age of 60 at least. new scientific evidence out last week showed reduction in mortality and better heart health for women using HRT. Only 10% of women use HRT but that's down partly to the bad press it had for ages, based on outdated research.

Chocogoingcuckoo Sun 02-Apr-17 15:47:43

I starting wearing gym clothes with dri-fit technology that wicks the sweat away. Although hrt has helped the night sweats massively.

veneeroftheweek Mon 03-Apr-17 08:48:28

Thanks for all the tips. I've just bought exactly those sage tablets so I really hope they help.

I can see how sheets and blankets would be good but can't see dp going for that. I think we're going to have a duvet each, skandi-style.

Eatingcheeseontoast Tue 04-Apr-17 11:24:07

Wool duvet! Made the biggest difference to me. My night sweats were ridiculous and the wool duvet meant I wasn't waking up soaking wet and freezing so I was actually getting a decent nights sleep.

We've got one queen size one and it's warm enough for himself and cool enough for me. It's like magic.

(On HRT and menopace and the sweats have definitely calmed down but that might just be because I think I'm finally coming to the end of peri!)

Mermaidinthesea123 Tue 04-Apr-17 21:21:49

HRT, before that I had a sheet, a duvet or sometimes just a bed throw and they were on and off all night. I also had this weird kind of low grade all over body buzzing like I was attached to a low voltage electric fence. It was horrible.

caz1967 Sun 07-May-17 13:53:08

I personally would not bother with a duvet, id go for nice cotton sheets and a nice bedspread for when needed. ive gotten a fan at the side of my bed carefully positioned so my hubby does not freeze...
good luck

Patchouli666 Mon 15-May-17 12:44:13

Polly always advocates HRT'

And for bloody good reason. have a read of Nick Panay's or Professor Studd's websites.
If you are under 50, the resists of not having sufficient oestrogen are osteoporosis and heart problems. With topical rather than oral hrt the risks of breast and other cancers is about the same as the general populations - I.e. No increased risk

I can't understand why people will try this and that, when they are obviously suffering. You wouldn't not take blood pressure tablets or vitamins for a deficiency. This is exactly the same.

Patchouli666 Mon 15-May-17 12:50:05

And @ Truckingalong
Is a knicker magnate like Theo Paphetis when he bought La Senza?

Mermaidbutmytailfelloff Mon 15-May-17 12:55:03

Patchouli......Because not everyone likes taking drugs. Because there are risks. Because funnily enough we all have free choice.

If I had my way again I wouldn't take it. My choice.

Hotheadwheresthecoldbath Mon 22-May-17 23:29:55

Only been on get a few weeks and can again sleep with the duvet up to my neck,bliss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now