Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Just been to the GP

(6 Posts)
FoonaBaboona Wed 29-Mar-17 10:15:55

I'm 48 and my periods have been sparse for the last 2 years (had about 4 in that time).

I'm not experiencing hot flushes yet but have tons of the other symptoms. Especially tiredness, aching joints, waning libido etc. And I'm just about fed up with it.

After reading threads on here I went to the doctor today to see about getting HRT.

First thing she said was I'll prescribe you antidepressants as HRT is only prescribed for hot flushes.
She said it wouldn't help my bones to go on it before I'd gone through menopause and there was an increased risk of stroke.

I said I didn't want antidepressants as I wasn't depressed and I wanted the HRT and came away with Elleste Duet after standing my ground.

Just feeling she was a bit useless and feeling a bit upset by it.

PollyPerky Wed 29-Mar-17 11:45:19

Oh God not another one ! (GP out of touch that is.)

Your GP has given you a load of bollocks to be honest. She's completely out of touch, misinformed, so either see another GP or be willing to read, print and take in the NICE menopause guidelines and ask again for HRT.

The facts (NICE) are:

ADs are not to be prescribed for low mood in women with peri meno. HRT is recommended.

An earlyish menopause (48 is 3-4 years earlier than average age of 52) puts you at a slightly higher risk of low bone density so HRT would help regardless of whether you are post meno or not yet.

The risk of stroke in a woman aged 48 is minute and really only applies to women over 60 who use HRT as pills.
There is NO added risk of stroke at any age with patches or gel form of HRT.

Honestly, some GPs ought to be shot- or at least go on a training course on menopause.

PollyPerky Wed 29-Mar-17 11:46:31

sorry- I didn't get to the end of your post before my rant! I see you did get HRT so that's good, but sorry it was a battle. If you go back for a repeat or review it would be wise to throw the NICE report at her. Goodness knows how many other women are receiving her lack of knowledge.

FoonaBaboona Wed 29-Mar-17 11:56:49

That's what I thought, completely outdated advice.
I'm thinking of writing a complaint and copying in the NICE guidelines.

She was saying the complete opposite of everything in the guidelines.
I think I knew more about them than her from reading on here and menopause matters which is why I was arguing for the HRT.

Hellothereitsme Thu 30-Mar-17 18:21:22

I ended up paying to see a menopause consultant as I felt having seen the GP four times I needed better information. The consultant was excellent and made me feel really safe. She has done a prescription for me now and next time I just get my GP to do a repeat prescription. It was well worth the money. I have to go back in 6 weeks time for some blood tests to see if the balance is correct and also to see her again. I felt in safe hands which I didn't with my GP. My health is too important.

befairdontjudge Thu 30-Mar-17 21:19:29

Please make a complaint including NICE guidelines we must stamp this out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now