Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Changing patches for oestrogel

(9 Posts)
Allfurcoatandnoknickers Wed 29-Mar-17 07:41:14

I'm 50 and have been on hrt 50 patches for a few years for oestrogen and a mirena for progesterone. I just feel that they're not absorbing at the moment (joint problems and nightsweats). and I went back to my GP to discuss this. I don't have a huge amount of confidence in her knowledge on the menopause, but I wondered about trying out oestrogel for a while to see if that's any better. Anyone swapped from patches to the gel and found it better?

PollyPerky Wed 29-Mar-17 11:40:36

I've never used patches because I don't like the idea of my HRT being so obvious with a patch stuck to my bum but I have used Oestrogel for 8 years. I love it because certainly in the first few months you can adjust the dose yourself ( starting dose is 2 pumps but you can go down or up.) Some people find the gel messy but the way I use it to divide the 2 pumps into morning and night application, so I apply one squirt divided between my palms then spread onto upper outer arms.

Allfurcoatandnoknickers Wed 29-Mar-17 12:25:56

So what is the equivalent dose
To 50 patch, do you know? Like you say, what appealed to me is being able to change the dose myself

PollyPerky Wed 29-Mar-17 13:06:38

TBH I'd not worry too much about that. You can't do a direct comparison as they are different products.
A 50mcg patch is a medium dose. 2 pumps of gel is low-medium and the suggested starting dose. If you swap I'd start on 2 pumps for a month and see how it feels.

Allfurcoatandnoknickers Wed 29-Mar-17 14:58:00

Ok will give it a go!

befairdontjudge Thu 30-Mar-17 21:21:59

Polly lol you are my double again! I dislike any patch medication HRT/painkillers etc for the same reasons!

Allfurcoatandnoknickers Wed 05-Apr-17 10:31:37

I've tried the oestrogel now since Saturday and I'm a bit headachey and feel like I've got PMT. not sure if this will settle down- wasn't getting this on the patches.....

PollyPerky Wed 05-Apr-17 12:43:58

How much are you using?

it's best to start with 1 pump for 2-4 weeks and see if that controls symptoms (whatever yours are without HRT.)

If it doesn't fully work then go up to 2 pumps.

I don't hink 5 days is long enough to make any decision. It could be that your patches weren't being absorbed so your body needs to adjust to more oestrogen. But reducing to 1 pump should give you an idea of what works and what doesn't.

Allfurcoatandnoknickers Wed 05-Apr-17 14:54:08

I've been using two pumps. Will drop down to one as I feel two is too much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now