Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Ovaries stay or go?

(3 Posts)
RobotsinDisguise Sun 26-Mar-17 21:08:31

I'm booked in to have a hysterectomy in a few weeks. The consultant suggest they takes my ovaries out too as I have an unrelated health condition which is made much worse in the run up to my period and during it. They would then give me oestrogen.

I'm 46 and do get really hot at night sometimes, but no idea if that's because my duvet is too hot. GP did a blood test and said I wasn't menopausal.

They suggested I speak with my gp about it. I tried to, but they wouldn't even discuss it, the reaction was a flat out don't do it, how do you know it will help?

I have no idea what to do. I've read the pros and cons and can't make up my mind. I'm sure the consultant wouldn't suggest it if it were a clinically sensible suggestion. But what if it didn't help, or made things worse?

PollyPerky Sun 26-Mar-17 22:13:19

If your other health condition is related to your cycle, how would replacing your ovaries with oestrogen get rid of the symptoms of the other condition- unless it's affected only by progesterone and not oestrogen? if your 'other condition' is linked to PMS you won't get PMS without ovulating.

You might also need testosterone if you lose your ovaries- they produce it too.

RobotsinDisguise Sun 26-Mar-17 22:46:24

the consultant thinks its progesterone related because of the timing. (it's POTS ) But of course it could be the fluctuations in hormones too. I'll have to ask them about testosterone. That wasn't mentioned.

I've done a lot of googling but it doesn't help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now