Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Total Hysterectomy, what happens with HR?

(12 Posts)
Hysterectomyhysteria Thu 23-Mar-17 19:08:01

I am due a total Hysterectomy in April and no one has mentioned HRT to me. I am 43 and am perimenopausal at least.
What happens after a total Hysterectomy, I should have HRT right? confused

PollyPerky Thu 23-Mar-17 19:55:33

Yes without a doubt! Amazed no one has prescribed it or talked it over before your op. shock with no ovaries at 43, you are at risk of osteoporosis and heart disease in later life.

You need it right up to average age of meno (52) at the very least. Luckily you will only need oestrogen and should feel great on it!
Have you had any horrible symptoms yet?

Iwannasnack Thu 23-Mar-17 20:04:15

It depends if they are taking your ovaries or not. At 43 they would try to conserve them if possible.

Hysterectomyhysteria Thu 23-Mar-17 20:06:15

Thank you Polly. I have night sweats, regularly need to change pj's and sheets because of the sweat. I have hot flushes, I am anxious, forgetful, I have a rage inside me and regularly snap at people. I have practically no sex drive and a dry vagina. My skin is also dry. My bones and whole body ache.
I also have very heavy bleeding, endometriosis and adhesions.

Hysterectomyhysteria Thu 23-Mar-17 20:07:55

Yes, I will be loosing my ovaries due to the endometriosis.

PollyPerky Thu 23-Mar-17 20:09:30

If you have your ovaries removed then they must offer HRT unless the op is for cancer. You need to speak to the consultant and bring it up before the op. Your symptoms now show you need HRT anyway.

Hysterectomyhysteria Thu 23-Mar-17 20:16:29

I will speak to the consultant when I see her. No cancer.
Will I have HRT straight after the operation? My Dr has never been interested in my menopause symptoms so this is all new to me!

PollyPerky Thu 23-Mar-17 20:48:14

Yes.
There is a website / forum called Hystersisters- you might find it helpful.

Hysterectomyhysteria Thu 23-Mar-17 21:07:54

Thanks, I have found that site but not looked up HRT as it didn't occur to me that I would be having HRT. blush

Cocolepew Thu 23-Mar-17 21:10:02

Hrt wasn't mentioned to me before my hysterectomy but I was told after that I need to stay on it until I'm 51 at least.
I think they just presume you know you'll need it.
Good luck with the op smile

NashvilleQueen Thu 23-Mar-17 21:11:32

Hello OP. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy almost two years ago. My surgeon told me that I had to leave hospital with hrt and to take it for 5-10 years. I haven't had a hot flush ever. I do have some other symptoms but they come and go and fairly mild overall. Really do go to GP asap.

ArchNotImpudent Thu 23-Mar-17 21:14:00

Will I have HRT straight after the operation?

My consultant advised me not to go onto it immediately after the op, to avoid restimulating any remaining endometriosis (I had very bad adhesions - my bowel, womb and ovaries were all stuck together). It was recommended that I wait at least two months. It's definitely something to discuss with your consultant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now