Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Loss of muscle mass and strength does HRT help

(6 Posts)
isthisgoodenough Thu 23-Mar-17 12:16:45

Hi, thanks to all posting here + for links through to NICE guidelines. However, I've searched threads and can't find anyone who's experienced HRT giving them their physical strength back! I'm 51 , testing-kit diagnosed menopause and can put up with the hot flushes - what makes me very miserable is sudden loss of muscle strength - used to toss a caber no worries and now struggle with a small sack of compost. Does HRT help? and if so, which kind? Grateful for any opinions on this

1.5.16 Explain to women that:

•there is limited evidence suggesting that HRT may improve muscle mass and strength

•muscle mass and strength is maintained through, and is important for, activities of daily living.

PollyPerky Thu 23-Mar-17 12:57:18

I don't know. I think you have to accept that it's exercises that are going to work and HRT may help maintain collagen etc.

isthisgoodenough Thu 23-Mar-17 16:36:50

Thanks Polly : I'll do some research myself and perhaps be able to come back to this thread with further info for myself and anyone else who's interested

Deux Sat 25-Mar-17 00:12:06

My understanding is that it is testosterone that helps with this. Women lose 50% of their testosterone production at Menopause.

I don't know that much about it myself but it has been mentioned to me by the consultant I see and I'm probably going to give it a go in a couple of months time.

From what I can gather you're unlikely to get an NHS GP prescribe testosterone as there is no longer a testosterone product licensed for women. Hence why it needs a consultant to prescribe.

My main peri/meno symptoms have been relived by oestrogen but I have noticed a marked decline in strength which I don't like at all.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sat 25-Mar-17 00:46:50

Muscle mass can be built after menopause with exercise, particularly weight training. Is there a reason you can't do that?

PollyPerky Sat 25-Mar-17 07:27:22

It's not just something which affects women; both men and women lose 1 pound of muscle a year after around the age of 45-50. Usually this is replaced with fat (middle aged spread) so weight can stay almost the same but with more fat and less muscle.

Try doing resistance exercises for half an hour 3 x a week- 3 sets of lunges, squats, dumb bells, women's push up ( half push up on knees) - as well as lots of fast walking or whatever you enjoy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now