Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Pollyperky, I need your help!

(21 Posts)
danTDM Wed 15-Mar-17 09:29:26

Polly, flowers

After all your info yesterday and on this site in general, I have been doing a lot of research.

The doctors here really will not prescribe HRT willingly and insist I don't need it. They just offer antidepressants. Sadly, I am not in a forward thinking part of Spain.

On the menopause matters website I notice people in the UK having big problems too, so you can imagine here how it goes.

When I plucked up courage to go about what I thought may be a problem, as I was only 43 and my periods had just stopped, I had blood tests that confirmed menopause and they sent me for a hysteroscopy and smear then shrugged and said nothing was wrong. I was quite young but it was not unusual.

I have found a good UK website where you can order online, after answering a questionnaire which a doctor checks. I am happy to do that. The thing is, they don't have Femoston listed, you mentioned that one yesterday and I researched. It seemed perfect. Just the low dose one as my only symptom in anxiety really. My main thing is I want to protect my bones.

I am 46
3 years no period
I get very stressed though, I cry a lot. This is the only thing bothering me. I used to be super confident and certainly never cry.
I have recently had a complete and very thorough health check. I am 100% tip top.
That includes mammogram, blood tests, liver function, blood pressure etc so I am confident self prescribing in this instance.
Normal BMI.
Don't smoke.
Exercise.

I just want an easy every day tablet I can take for my bones/heart.

If you were me, what would you order. Just an opinion?

I would be so grateful for your advice, or kind Terry or anyone in the same boat as me. I am NOT peri I am fully fledged menopausal but only just 46.

Thankyou for reading all that grin

PollyPerky Wed 15-Mar-17 09:57:42

Oh goodness! If you are really sure you want to buy online then look at the Menopause Matters website, under Treatments, HRT, post meno preparations. Avoiding artificial estrogens, I'd look at the patches - there are only 2 available -Evorel conti 50mgs and Femseven. These are medium dose.

If you want tablets and can't get patches online then Kliovance may work it's 1mg or Elleste Duet which is 2mgs.

At your young age some women are using Qlaira which is a BC Pill and is sometimes given to young menopausal women. It's a higher dose though and I don't think you should mess with it without having proper checks with a dr.

Patches are safer so if you can, choose those.

OR you could use Oestrogel (I know it's available in Spain) and 100mgs Utrogestan daily.

danTDM Wed 15-Mar-17 10:05:44

Fantastic polly you are a star and very kind.
Thanks so much for responding. I hope this can help someone else too!

I will have a good look at all these options, do my research again and decide.
One thing is for sure, you know a lot more than my doctor. Hell, I think I know a lot more about this particular thing than my v. old, well meaning, kind, Spanish male doctor. flowers

Thanks again.

Deux Wed 15-Mar-17 10:15:44

Have you considered buying direct from a Spanish pharmacy? I'm always amazed at what you can get over the counter.

danTDM Wed 15-Mar-17 10:21:50

I have deux , I might! I am googling everything polly kindly said now to see what it is in Spanish.
I was more confident doing it in English, I see so many mistakes, even from English doctors in England prescribing the wrong thing on the menopause matters website. It's shocking.

I am currently pondering on patches vs pills.
Not sure yet.

Thanks for your post flowers

Deux Wed 15-Mar-17 11:32:17

Something else to maybe consider is Sandrena Gel 1mg for the oestrogen part. It comes in individual dose sachets and a typical dose would be 1mg twice a day. I started off on that and it made a massive difference almost immediately.

Have you asked on any expat forums what other expats do? You must be able to access some proper advice. Though I understand why you're contemplating self prescribing.

I've just googled Is Sandrena gel available over the counter in Spain? And there are quite a few hits.

PollyPerky Wed 15-Mar-17 11:48:13

I know that some women on M Matters buy Oestrogel OTC in Spain- they say it's cheaper- and same for Utrogestan (I think).

It seems odd that HRT is available OTC yet the drs over there are so reluctant to prescribe it. Double standards?

I still think that if you ever come to the UK you should spend £200 or so on an appt with a private gynae to get some support.

befairdontjudge Wed 15-Mar-17 12:07:01

Polly you beat me to it. Yes you buy it OTC in Spain. Menopause Matters forums has.the Spanish words for Oestrogel, Utragestan and Ovestin cream. If you search or post on there someone will help you with the Spanish words.

danTDM Wed 15-Mar-17 12:45:42

Gosh, you are all so kind and helpful.

Deux would I just take those sachets? Would I have to add something else? Are you in France?

Polly I would love to spend 200 euros on this, believe me. I have never been precious about my health but for this, I definitely would. It's the rest of my life and I want to get it right.

befair thank you so much for posting. The Spanish translation bit is a pain but doable, it's more what I need in the first place.

I'm going to go on ex pat forums, I hadn't thought of that! Thanks deux

Deux Wed 15-Mar-17 13:05:48

Dan, I'm in the U.K. Sandrena is an oestrogen gel so you'd still need a progesterone.

If you need get properly seen then you may be suitable for long cycle HRT where you only have an induced bleed every 8 -12 weeks.

Deux Wed 15-Mar-17 13:08:50

Sorry typo above. Should read If you do get properly seen ......

danTDM Wed 15-Mar-17 13:16:30

Thanks so much deux

I am getting so confused, I have been reading and reading...
I may go to the doctor here and just tell him what I want, insist antidepressants are not the way to go. But then I'll get referred to the hospital again for more blood tests, more tests which I have already had. I would be like self medicating anyway as best case scenario he will give me what I tell him.

What the hell do I take? gahhhhh

polly humour me, what do you take? flowers

befairdontjudge Wed 15-Mar-17 13:32:54

I take 3 pumps Oestrogel, Ultrageston and Ovestin cream for vaginal atrophy. All available OTC in Spain.

befairdontjudge Wed 15-Mar-17 13:34:34

According to my Meno Consultant its an excellent prescription.

danTDM Wed 15-Mar-17 14:10:35

Wow. Thank you so much befair. This is exactly what I need to know.

I will go to my lovely (male but young, perfect English) pharmacist with this in hand. He'll then sell it to me.

Have decided I am much happier not ingesting everything... this sounds 'safer'
May I ask, did this make you feel better quite quickly?
I think over the past 3 years I have slowly been sliding, losing my old self. Still coping and functioning but not the same.

PollyPerky Wed 15-Mar-17 15:31:47

Me too befair!

Oestrogel 1.5 or 2 pumps daily, 200mgs Utrogestan for 12 days every 6-8 weeks. This is long cycle HRT with a 'period' every 8 weeks. It's best to do this under the guidance of a consultant so you can access annual scans just to check the uterine lining as there is a slightly higher risk of thickening.

You can pay for scans privately ( I do.)

befairdontjudge Wed 15-Mar-17 15:33:08

Looking back 2/3 months until I felt well. I use the Ovestin cream everyday with my Consultants blessing. I would start with 2 pumps of Oestrogel and see how you go. You may need to up it. Utrogestan 100mg 1 capsule everyday if you are post Meno. If peri or you prefer a cycle 200mg from days 15 to 26. Best take that at night as it can make you sleepy.

befairdontjudge Wed 15-Mar-17 15:34:18

Long cycle sounds good to Polly.

befairdontjudge Wed 15-Mar-17 15:35:41

I use Ovestin in the morning and use Utragestan vaginally at night.

danTDM Wed 15-Mar-17 16:38:51

You are superstars, thanks for sharing the knowledge!

I am totally menopausal, no period for 3 years, totally healthy. I can get it over the counter, it is 2x advice from Meno consultants via you. You are both very kind.

I will go to the doctor with my fait accompli later for check ups.
The pill, HRT. Not prescribed here, just bought OTC, Frustrating. I'm not really an ex pat either, DH an DD Spanish and have lived here a long while, in a place where there are no 'expats' as such.

Thanks again flowers

befairdontjudge Wed 15-Mar-17 16:55:25

I get stressed my anything medical so check own BP and just chat with Meno Consultant. Screening is a no for no for me on advice from Consultant. So long as you check your own BP and do not run into issues you will be fine. You may need to tweak your HRT. I upped mine from 2 pumps to 3. You do you to 4 pumps. Start with 2 pumps and see how you go. Any questions just ask. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now