Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

How do I know whether I have passed the menopause?

(5 Posts)
GoodyGoodyGumdrops Tue 14-Mar-17 13:18:39

Peri-meno began at 41. I've been on oestrogen-only HRT plus Mirena coil since 43. Now 51.

Mirena immediately caused periods to almost disappear. How do I know whether they have stopped completely due to menopause or due to Mirena?

How will I know whether a tiny bleed is merely a super-light period or post-menopausal thing that needs checking?

Allfurcoatandnoknickers Tue 14-Mar-17 14:00:52

I'm very interested to find this out too. I'm also nearly 51 and been in meno for around same length of time. I take an oestrogen patch and the mirena for progesterone. Does anyone know the answer?

PollyPerky Tue 14-Mar-17 15:48:57

well the answer is you don't. Unless you remove the Mirena.
You can ask for a blood test but with the Mirena the results may be skewed.

You are extremely unlikely to have anything wrong if you have a Mirena in place. They are used to prevent and treat endometrial cancer, by stopping the lining growing. So highly unlikely to be sinister as long as you are up to date with smears too.

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Wed 15-Mar-17 01:22:29

I've just remembered that last week both of my patches came off, and each time I didn't notice until it was time to change them. Could this have caused me to have a light period-like bleed?

PollyPerky Wed 15-Mar-17 07:29:56

Yes but see your GP if worried.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now