Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

No periods for six months now having the mother of all periods

(10 Posts)
Iamabuyingbootsaddict Sun 12-Mar-17 21:37:24

I'm 53, so I know I'm at the point to expect it's all going to be erratic in every hormonal department of my body. Hadn't had a period since early August last year. since between then and now been very busy moving house, family stuff, work stuff and also had a really bad fall in garden and injured my leg quite badly. On that day began horrible hot flushes. Was having about 20 a day and they were waking me up at night. Really tired from all of the above combined. Since January have been doing yoga every day via YouTube. Hot flushes gone completely. Thought I'd started a period two weeks ago but it was very light and didn't seem to get going. On Friday it started again. This time extremely heavy and painful. Saturday morning had to lie on sofa breathing like I was having a contraction and there has been no let up on the heaviness. I'm having a blood test done on Tuesday to test hormone levels, thyroid etc. I do also have a fibroid but aside from an occasional dull ache sometimes around the middle of the month there's never been anything more than that. The no let up in the bleeding is starting to worry me a bit. Could it be just that I haven't had one for almost 6 months and it's just a bit "backed up" so to speak. Trying not to worry, as I worry about everything anyway. Feeling horribly headachey too which I've had off and on for about the last two weeks. Anyone had anything similar that you could reassure me with?? Sorry it's a bit long and TMI.

WhatchaMaCalllit Sun 12-Mar-17 21:40:37

I couldn't read and not post - you poor thing. I just wanted to offer you my sympathies and hope that everything turns out ok for you.

Iamabuyingbootsaddict Sun 12-Mar-17 21:46:51

Thanks, hoping others on here might say oh I had it like that and it's just the joys of the menopause and I feel maybe the fact that I was a bit stressed for quite a few months on the trot with house move and all the other stuff that it's having this effect on me now I'm finally having one. Just watched Call the Midwife and can really relate to the woman in the habidashery shop (who was clearly going through the "change"!!).

bobs123 Sun 12-Mar-17 21:59:32

I believe this can happen. If you started Friday it should let up a bit by tomorrow. Is it very........clotty? If so that is normal. I am 57 and have always had pretty heavy periods (I used a mooncup). I actually measured it once - over ½ pint. Anyway, I've had really sporadic periods and if there has been a long gap the following one is really heavy.

Things like divorce, court, moving house etc also played havoc. I actually had a mirena coil fitted last December (another story) and it's been great - no periods at all. However I also won't know when I have finally gone through menopause!

Iamabuyingbootsaddict Sun 12-Mar-17 22:10:34

Thank you bobs, that's reassured me. I had also forgotten that I also finally got divorced and that hadn't even occurred to me to add to my long (not being self indulgent) list of "challenges" from last year. It is very clotty and that scared me a bit as mine apart from when I had a copper coil years ago are not usually like that although they are full on for a couple of days and then just fizzle out. I was at garden centre with MIL and had to come home as felt in so much pain and shamefully then started crying down phone to my DP like a big baby.

humblesims Mon 13-Mar-17 07:30:05

Hi Lama It was like that for me too. I am 50 and and havent had a period now for nearly twelve months. But in the twelve months previous to that I had two or three really brutal periods with a LOT of blood. they lasted for about eight to ten days. They were pretty awful but I think its pretty normal. If you are worried (and if the bleeding goes on too long) go and see the GP and they will give you something. I didnt do that though, I just struggled through.

mummytime Mon 13-Mar-17 07:46:27

Do talk to your GP if this continues, there are some non HRT things they can prescribe. I would also take an Iron supplement - because I become anaemic when that happens.

flapjackfairy Sat 01-Apr-17 10:24:00

I am having this at the moment.
I have been having a light period for the last 2 to 3 weeks. V light until this week and now a fulblown heavy one with clotting etc.
I am fed up with it now and i am due a smear and have rearranged once but now going to have to cancel again !
Tell me this is normal (aged 52)

PollyPerky Sat 01-Apr-17 10:43:34

It's totally normal.
Regular bleeding only happens if the cycles are complete each month. This needs ovulation followed by 2 weeks when progesterone kicks in to build up the womb lining ready for implantation. When it falls you get a period. If you have a mix of ovulatory and non-ovulatory cycles you get a build up of the lining which decides to shed at odd times or the mother of all periods after a complete cycle. So you could have months of blood loss in one cycle. sad

flapjackfairy Sat 01-Apr-17 11:11:03

Thanks Polly that is reassuring.
Wont book another date for a smear then for a while !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now