Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Is this normal?

(4 Posts)
Waxlyrically Tue 07-Mar-17 09:30:20

I'm 48 and over the last 6 months my periods have become irregular but more frequent - 14 day cycle approx - as opposed to my previous 24 day one. This fortnight's one is a horror though. Really heavy bleeding (4 days in) and cramps and pain in my ovaries and back like nothing else. I've got no plans to dash to the GP if it's just a case of weathering the inevitable storm, but is this standard? Just after reassurance and a moan really!!

PollyPerky Tue 07-Mar-17 10:12:16

Have a read of the sites Menopause Matters and Womens Health Concern for info on peri menopause.

Waxlyrically Tue 07-Mar-17 12:25:42

Thanks I'll look at these - there is a baffling amount of info when you google!

Papergirl1968 Tue 07-Mar-17 19:32:12

Hi, I'm 48 too and my periods went haywire two years ago. Lighter but with the occasional very long, very heavy one thrown in. One went on for about six weeks, stopped for a few days, and started again for about three more weeks. Now they are generally irregular and very light, although I did just finish a heavy one.
I've always had painful periods but funnily enough since I started the peri menopause, assuming that's what it is, they haven't been. Someone on here told me ages ago that it because of a drop in one of the hormones.
I haven't had hot flushes but generally feel warmer and my skin is itchy.
I think the peri menopause can last up to ten years before periods stop altogether.
Everyone is different but at your age I'd guess that yes, you are in the peri menopause. I think you need to go to the GP though if you have another that painful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now