Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Advice please on the menopause, or should I say perimenopause…

(9 Posts)
DebCam Fri 03-Mar-17 13:17:41

Anyhow, I thought I’d cracked it but just had another period out of the blue – so, perimenopausal I guess. I’ve so far gotten off lightly with just a few mild hot flushes and a bit of insomnia. Both of which I understand will disappear after the menopause. But what about water retention around the calves and ankles or the thick waste – will they go too? I’m very active and have always kept myself in good shape, but have put on about 2.5-3 kilos over the past few months and just can’t shift it.

PollyPerky Fri 03-Mar-17 13:28:21

Where did you hear that all the symptoms disappear after the last period? If only! Many women don't even start having symptoms till their periods stop (I didn't) and 10-15% of women have flushes etc for 20+ years or more. My mum had them in her 80s. My consultant says some women have them for ever.

Just to cheer you up.

I think you ought to see your GP if you think you have water retention in your calves and ankles. This may be nothing to do with menopause- it's not a symptom. It is a symptom of problems with the kidneys or heart / circulation.

Re. the weight- exercise alone doesn't work as we get older- you need to really cut back on food too. Many of us post meno women eat around 50% of what we could in our 30s and 40s.

DebCam Fri 03-Mar-17 14:11:08

I'd read that oedema is a common side effect of the menopause, so won't bother the doctor, but thanks for cheering me up with all the great news! hmm

PollyPerky Fri 03-Mar-17 14:47:12

Oedema on the calves is definitely not a side effect of peri meo and you should see your GP. You also read that all symptoms go after the last period so maybe you've got confused?
How do you know it's fluid anyway? Does the tissue 'give' when you press it? Noone with swollen calves or ankles should ignore it. See your GP.

DebCam Fri 03-Mar-17 15:12:16

Thank you, PollyPerky, no, I'm not confused. There is a mass of information online regarding the effects of the menopause etc. and numerous accounts where water retention and oedema has been among them. Which is why I asked for some first-hand experience for clarification. Clearly, you were lucky not to have experienced this particular effect.

And I really don't need to see a doctor for what I know is water retention. People shouldn't waste doctor's time.

PollyPerky Fri 03-Mar-17 15:36:25

My understanding is that any fluid retention in peri tends to be part of PMS during the 2nd half of a cycle and this is usually around the tummy (as temporary weight gain.)

I've read masses on peri and meno as you have and never seen anything about oedema as you are experiencing it, as part of peri. All my friends are post meno now and I don't know anyone who has had this.

If you could link to the accounts you mention it would be informative for me and anyone else reading.

DebCam Fri 03-Mar-17 15:52:36

Thank you, PollyPerky, but I'm seriously not going to get into a ridiculous spat with you. I thought it was a good idea to ask for some sound advice from other women. Trouble is, you just never know what kind of crank will reply...

PollyPerky Fri 03-Mar-17 16:51:54

I asked you to link to some of the accounts you'd read. Hardly cranky.

I'd recommend the website Menopause Matters and the forum if you want to run your query by the people there, and Dr Currie has some really good info on peri meno across the site.

I do hope you get some relief as it sounds most unpleasant.

Hellothereitsme Sun 05-Mar-17 10:02:12

DenCam - really no need to be so rude to a poster who was trying to help you.

PollyPerky is a regular poster on MN and is really helpful in terms of menopause advice. I have found her posts invaluable.

You are not to know that - but still no excuse for calling someone a crank.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now