Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Lighter and lighter periods

(23 Posts)
sameoldscene Thu 02-Mar-17 19:56:16

I'm 45. I've always had really light periods. Now though, they are even lighter. My cycle is very regular and l still 'appear' to be ovulating.
I'd always thought they might just get heavier at my age?
For context, this past period l hit away with using abou 5 towels & maybe six tampons over 5 days...
Any ideas? smile

sameoldscene Thu 02-Mar-17 19:56:51

*got away.

sameoldscene Fri 03-Mar-17 11:56:55

anyone? smile

PollyPerky Fri 03-Mar-17 12:24:34

why would you expect them to be heavier? Doesn't happen like that for everyone. maybe only people who experience this talk about it.

Mine just fizzled out between 52-53 but the final ones being light enough for panty liners.

sameoldscene Fri 03-Mar-17 13:15:15

I've mainly heard from females in my family.
I guess mine have always been a little different from them.
I just wondered if they would just become lighter until they stopped completely.
Actually, come to think of it- l've never read anything that says periods can get lighter.

girlandboy Fri 03-Mar-17 14:06:43

Mine got lighter and lighter until barely negligible, apart from the one last May which was like a bloodbath! I've not had a period since so I'm assuming this was my body's last hurrah! confused

sameoldscene Fri 03-Mar-17 14:35:40

girl l hope that was!
Must have surprised you!

Winniethepooer Fri 03-Mar-17 14:38:07

Mine are doing as you describe. Now only 2/3 days.

I'm 43.

SaltyMyDear Fri 03-Mar-17 14:39:13

5 days does not sound light.

sameoldscene Fri 03-Mar-17 16:52:00

I think 5 days is light confused
About 1 - ish super tampon ?
Okay, l'm pleased!
Maybe l'm not withering away! grin

PollyPerky Fri 03-Mar-17 17:13:19

'Light' is 1 day of spotting or 1 day of spotting, 1 heavier day, then that's it.
5 days is not 'light' in terms of length, but if it's all just spotting then it is light. Blood loss is what counts, not length of the bleed.

sameoldscene Fri 03-Mar-17 18:52:17

Well l'm none the wiser then Pollygrin
I would have thought getting away with 5 tampons - over 5 days wasn't much. Super on the first day ... then regular after that! I probably shouldn't have compared myself to friends- they are changing super+ every couple of hours.
Thank you for your help.smile

lljkk Sat 04-Mar-17 10:37:24

Mine have got lighter & lighter, too (age 49 now). Seems to be my normal.

Vast majority of people are overweight & get very little exercise and by the time they hit age 40+, they have had decades being like that.

Those don't apply to me. Maybe that helps, because % body fat & exercise have big impacts on hormones. Or maybe they are irrelevant. I have no other explanation. One of my dad's sisters had terrible heavy periods. It's not something I talk about with family so no idea on all the other relatives.

PollyPerky Sat 04-Mar-17 10:46:43

I think it varies. Being overweight increases oestrogen levels in women (fat cells make oestrogen) so I assume this means periods can be heavier. But of course some slim women have heavy periods too.

I suppose using 1 tampon in a day is 'light' but I thought you meant 1 tampon and 1 towel in a day ? or a towel at night?

Everyone's different. If your periods peter out like this, be thankful! Mine did and now I'm using HRT I have heavier periods than I ever did before, so maybe my normal oestrogen leels were always a bit low.

sameoldscene Sat 04-Mar-17 13:24:17

Thanks Polly l hope they do.
I'd be considered very slim l suppose. I thought maybe l wasn't making much of a lining anymore?
Isn't it true that even if your body appears to be ovulating - your body might be be just going through the motions? I still get the symptoms , small pain in my ovarie etc...

sameoldscene Sat 04-Mar-17 13:25:08

Ovary.

expatinscotland Sat 04-Mar-17 13:28:25

Mine have got much lighter. I'm 46. I love it! Hope they stop altogether soon. Hurray!

ChishandFips33 Sat 04-Mar-17 13:42:55

Mine are much lighter too - negligible some months!

Does being on the pill make any difference in the lead up to menopause?

TheGoodEnoughWife Sat 04-Mar-17 14:05:39

I, like you, thought they would get heavier from what I had 'heard' (because I now have no idea where I have heard this lol)

However mine did get heavier, and longer, for about 6 months - lasting 7 days with two really heavy days, but my last couple have been lighter and shorter - 5 or 6 days.

I am 44. Really hope they carry on getting lighter till they stop!

sameoldscene Sat 04-Mar-17 14:14:03

I've got a very dramatic Mother. She told me: "Oh at your age l was flooding through towel after towel!"
I suppose l thought daughters normally follow a similar pattern to their Mums.
Anyway, she had crippling period pain. I've never had they either.
I don't smoke though,and l think my diet is a bit better.

TheGoodEnoughWife Sat 04-Mar-17 14:18:40

My mum had a hysterectomy so can't compare. I have had a bit more pain that usual over last few months (normally hardly any but then had a child young and have heard that reduces pain?) and super painful
boobs but definitely less heavy which is fab!

whatiswrongwithyou Sat 04-Mar-17 14:26:44

45 and Mine have became very light too. Anybody else found that there cycle's got shorter, my periods seem to have settled at every 23 days now - with a bit of luck they'll soon disappear altogether!

sameoldscene Sat 04-Mar-17 14:28:29

My boobs are less painful & yes. Super quick cycle.
Period done - ovulation- then period again. Takes about 27-28 days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now