Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Anyone started snoring as a symptom of menopause?

(3 Posts)
feellikeanalien Mon 20-Feb-17 21:54:09

.....and does anyone have any solutions?

Over the last 3/4 years I have apparently turned into the snorer from hell according to DP.

He has described me as sounding like a pneumatic drill, a symphony orchestra and an earthquake!!!

I have put on weight and know that this can cause snoring but the snoring seems to predate this by about a year and I am wondering if menopause could be responsible. I'm sure I read somewhere that this is a possible symptom.

I have tried nasal strips but these didn't work and it now seems as if the spare room is beckoning!

Anyone else experienced this and, if so, did you find a solution?

PollyPerky Tue 21-Feb-17 08:17:44

This is not a meno symptoms but it IS a weight problem. You need to take this seriously. There is a link, it appears, between snoring and heart disease/ heart attacks. As women reach meno and are post meno, loss of oestrogen put them in the same heart attack risk as men (unless women are using HRT ). Obviously the first step is to lose the weight but I think you should also pop to see your GP for a health MOT.

Info here
www.nhs.uk/news/2008/07July/Pages/Snoringandheartattackrisk.aspx

feellikeanalien Tue 21-Feb-17 12:28:08

Thanks Polly. Interesting article. I had seen an article connecting sleep apnoea and heart problems before. I don't think I suffer from sleep apnoea but I think you're probably right that I should go to the GP.

The weight loss definitely needs to be a priority and probably doing some exercise wouldn't go amiss!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now