Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Been on a period for almost 4 weeks & feel utterly weary.

(5 Posts)
latedecember1963 Thu 16-Feb-17 23:10:17

Started a period on Sat 21st Jan & still going. Tried to get a GP appointment last Fri but none available. Practice nurse phoned me on Mon, said not to worry but to monitor how I felt. Have now had almost 4 weeks of heavy loss & feel exhausted. Have managed to not have any time off work in spite of flooding and feeling light headed at times. Not in work tomorrow so have managed to persuade the GP receptionist to give me a GP appointment tomorrow afternoon. Just hoping the GP takes me seriously and doesn't just write me off as a moaning middle aged woman although I appreciate this post makes me sound exactly that!

BellonaBelladonna Thu 16-Feb-17 23:13:26

There is hormonal medication to stop the blood loss and then investigations that can be done.
They shouldn't fob you off. Sounds draining.

OkeyDokeyPigAndAPokey Thu 16-Feb-17 23:31:59

I was given Mefenamic acid to take 3 times a day continuously which worked and am now under the care of gynaecologist for fibroid treatment. There's no way you should have to put up with this.

latedecember1963 Fri 17-Feb-17 09:00:07

Thank you, both of you. Off to wrestle my Mil round the supermarket & I may even treat myself to some Green & Black heavy duty chocolate for medicinal purposes. Will report back later when I have seen the GP.

latedecember1963 Fri 17-Feb-17 17:00:50

Have seen the GP who was very nice and didn't think I was being moan at all. I've got Tranexamic Acid tablets to take 4 times daily to stop the bleeding. I'm booked in for blood tests in a couple of weeks to check I haven't become anaemic & he is referring me for an ultrasound at the local hospital to check I haven't got a fibroid. All in all a positive experience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now